Calling the introduction of Speaker Nancy Pelosi's latest health care bill, "a missed opportunity to move forward on genuine bipartisan reform."
"After weeks of working in secret behind closed doors, Speaker Pelosi rolled out her latest version of her health care reform bill. Not surprisingly, it looks eerily familiar," said Frelinghuysen. "Her bill is 1,990 pages long and while no one has had had time to analyze the entire bill in-depth, three things are already clear: it will raise the cost of Americans' health insurance premiums; it will kill jobs with tax hikes and hundreds of new mandates; and it will cut seniors' Medicare benefits and payments to area doctors and hospitals."
Speaker Pelosi's health care bill includes:
* Creation of a government-run insurance program that could cause as many as 114 million Americans to lose their current coverage;
* Abolition of the private market for individual health insurance, forcing individuals to purchase coverage in a government-run Exchange;
* Stifling insurance regulations that would raise premiums and encourage employers to drop coverage;
* Trillions of dollars in new federal spending that will exacerbate the deficit and imperil the nation's long-term fiscal solvency;
* Taxes on all Americans--individuals who purchase insurance, individuals who do not purchase insurance, and millions of small businesses--that will kill jobs and raise health care premiums; and
* Cuts to Medicare Advantage plans that will result in higher premiums and dropped coverage for more than 10 million seniors.
"Yes, we can reform health care in a bipartisan manner. There is no doubt about that," said Frelinghuysen. "But Speaker Pelosi's massive new government-run insurance plan, paid for with hundreds of billions of dollars in higher taxes, is not reform.'