* Mr. WOLF. Madam Speaker, the national unemployment rate is 9.8 percent with nearly half of the states reporting increases in the month of September. And it is growing--it could reach 10 percent.
* The national debt is approaching $12 trillion, and the `09 fiscal year registered a staggering $1.4 trillion in red ink. Meanwhile the House is expected to consider a health insurance reform package with a price tag nearing $900 billion, with a Government run public option.
* America is going broke.
* We have watched the dollar slide--recently reaching a 14-month low against all other major currencies--which if not addressed this could lead to even higher consumer prices.
* We can't spend our way out of this mess, and it won't magically get better without action from Congress.
* The country is in trouble and it's time to stop the bleeding.
* The action that will lead to a solution is the bipartisan commission Jim Cooper and I have proposed with every spending program on the table with tax policy. Over 75 members of the House support this idea.
* Senate Budget Chairman KENT CONRAD and ranking member GREGG have similar legislation in the Senate. So do Senators VOINOVICH and LIEBERMAN.
* The Cooper-Wolf SAFE Commission bill is an opportunity to create a renaissance in this country for our children and our grandchildren.