Bill Owens, Democratic Congressional candidate in New York's 23rd District, today welcomed the endorsement of 118th District Assemblywoman Addie Russell (D-Theresa). Assemblywoman Russell endorsed Owens' campaign for Congress while praising his commitment to putting our economy back on track for farmers and their families.
"From fighting for our dairy farmers to making rural development a priority in Congress, Bill Owens will be a strong voice for our rural communities" said Assemblywoman Russell. "Northern New Yorkers need a leader like Bill who will go to Congress with their best interests in mind, and Bill's experiences in the North Country will make him a powerful advocate for our needs."
"I am proud of all the support our campaign has received so far, and I am grateful today for Assemblywoman Russell's endorsement," said Owens. "In Congress, I'll work to end the price manipulation on milk so it's fair for consumers and producers, and whether it's broadband deployment, water projects or housing, I will fight for the needs of our rural communities. Keeping our farmers and our farm families strong is critical to getting our economy back on track and ensuring more good paying jobs for Upstate New York."
Bill Owens has also laid out a series of rural policy initiatives including:
· Joining Senator Chuck Schumer's call for an investigation on why dairy farmers are getting paid lower and lower prices for their milk.
· Fighting to increase aid for farmers coping with falling milk prices and supporting the federal purchase of surplus cheese and other dairy products.
· Strengthening USDA programs that sustain and improve rural communities including rural housing, water projects, community facilities and economic development efforts.
· Making rural areas more competitive by promoting the deployment of broadband internet access.
· Improving and expanding the community health centers that so many rural Americans rely on for quality, affordable health care.
· Promoting legislation that will stabilize the milk marketing formula by adjusting it to cover production costs to give farmers a fair price for their product
· Push for a rural jobs tax credit that will incentivize employers to hire rural Americans from areas where good paying jobs are harder to find.
Bill Owens has devoted his life to creating jobs, bringing economic development to the North Country, and serving his country. As a Captain in the United States Air Force, he proudly served at Plattsburgh Air Force Base. When the base was closed he helped create the Plattsburgh Airbase Redevelopment Corporation to ensure the land was used to create jobs, and currently there are more than 500 jobs based there as a result of his leadership. He has also served his community on the boards of many civic and non-profit organizations. He is a Managing Partner at Stafford Owens Piller Murnane & Trombley, PLLC. Owens currently lives in Plattsburgh with his wife Jane where they raised three children. He is the proud grandfather of three with a fourth due this fall.