Matheson Statement Regarding Status Of Health Care Reform Draft Bill
Congressman Jim Matheson today released the following statement in response to reports that he and fellow Blue Dog members of the House Energy and Commerce Committee had reached a "deal" on HR 3200the House version of health care reform.
"My most significant concerns have not been addressed by the deal. I believe health reform legislation must include the following:
* Create state-based health plan exchanges in lieu of a federal exchange
* Establish state-based co-ops and make a national cooperative available only as a fallback
* Allow health savings accounts to be allowed to compete in any insurance exchange
* Allow the Health and Human Services Secretary to provide incentive payments to states to implement medical malpractice reform.
* Effectively bend the cost curve, per the recommendations of the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).
I will be offering a number of amendments in the Committee to accomplish those objectives. I do not support the bill in its current form," said Matheson