or Login to see your representatives.

Access Candidates' and Representatives' Biographies, Voting Records, Interest Group Ratings, Issue Positions, Public Statements, and Campaign Finances

Simply enter your zip code above to get to all of your candidates and representatives, or enter a name. Then, just click on the person you are interested in, and you can navigate to the categories of information we track for them.

Public Statements

Gov. Perry Appeals FEMA Denial for Federal Assistance for Ike Recovery

Press Release

By:
Date:
Location: Austin, TX


Gov. Perry Appeals FEMA Denial for Federal Assistance for Ike Recovery

Gov. Rick Perry today appealed the Federal Emergency Management Administration's (FEMA) denial to extend for 18 months 100 percent reimbursement of emergency protective measures, and debris removal, and other Public Assistance work areas (Categories A-G) for Hurricane Ike. FEMA notified the Governor's Office on November 26 that only six months of debris removal (Category A) was approved for 100 percent reimbursement.

"The scope of devastation caused by Hurricane Ike warrants this vital aid from the federal government," said Gov. Perry. "The assistance I am requesting is similar to what Louisiana received following Hurricane Katrina and Texans deserve to be treated no less. The communities devastated by this storm need this funding and need it now."

In a letter to President Bush, the governor requested that federal funding for Category B, including direct federal assistance and hazard mitigation, be authorized for six months at 100 percent. Additionally, the letter requests that the cost share for Categories C through G be adjusted to 90/10 percent.

For Categories B through G, currently the federal government is providing 75 percent reimbursement, and the remaining 25 percent of costs must come from the pockets of local jurisdictions. This overwhelming cost share could deplete a large portion of these local jurisdictions' annual budgets. These communities need and deserve this assistance to recover from Hurricane Ike, which may prove to be the costliest disaster in the history of Texas.

A definition of Public Assistance categories is as follows:

· Category A: Debris removal - clearance of trees and woody debris; building wreckage; sand, mud silt and gravel; vehicles; and other disaster-related material deposited on public and, in very limited cases, private property.

· Category B: Emergency Protective Measures - measurers taken before, during and after a disaster to save lives, protect public health and safety, and protect improved public and private property.

· Category C: Roads and Bridges - Repair of roads, bridges, and associated features, such as shoulders, ditches, culverts, lighting and signs.

· Category D: Water Control Facilities - repair of irrigation systems, drainage channels and pumping facilities. Repair of levees, dams and channels. The US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) have primary authority for repair of flood control works.

· Category E: Buildings and Equipment - Repair or replacement of buildings, including their contents and systems; heavy equipment; and vehicles.

· Category F: Utilities - Repair of water treatment and delivery systems; power generation facilities and distribution lines; and sewage collection and treatment facilities.

· Category G: Parks, Recreational Facilities, and Other Items - Repair and restoration of parks, playgrounds, pools, cemeteries and beaches. This category also is used for any work or facility that cannot be characterized adequately by Categories A-F.


Source:
Back to top