Moran's Military and Veterans Advisory Committee Holds Meeting
Congressman Jerry Moran's Military & Veterans Advisory Committee met at the Kansas State Alumni Center in Manhattan. Moran formed the Committee, which is made up of Kansas leaders with expertise in military and veteran issues.
"I am encouraged by the insight and information I received in this Committee meeting with these Kansas military and veteran leaders," Moran said. "Especially, on Memorial Day, we are reminded how essential military and defense is for the security of our country. Our military and veterans have always been a top priority for me and attending this Committee meeting offers me the unique opportunity to become more knowledgeable about these issues. I am looking forward to continuing my work with the Committee to make sure that our state's military and veterans have a strong voice in Washington."
During the meeting, Moran and the members of the committee discussed the Department of Defense budget, the importance of professional military schools, the possible transfer of terrorist prisoners to Fort Leavenworth, the growth at Fort Riley, the Great Plains Joint Regional Training Center near Salina, veterans' benefits and health care, refueling tankers and National Guard enlistment.
Earlier this year, Moran announced the formation of the Military and Veterans Advisory Committee to assist with issues that affect service members, veterans, Kansas military installations and communities.
The following Kansas military and veteran leaders serve on Moran's Committee and attended the meeting:
* Roger Aeschliman, Topeka. Lieutenant Colonel, Kansas Army National Guard.
* Robert Arter, Lansing. Lieutenant General, U.S. Army (retired).
* Jim AuBuchon, Overland Park. Brigadier General, U.S. Army (retired).
* Rhonda Edens, Benton. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (retired).
* Mark Edwards, Junction City. Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army.
* Tom Fryer, Manhattan. Lieutenant Colonel, U.S. Air Force (retired).
* Gene Heiman, Garden City. Korean War Veteran, U.S. Army, American Legion.
* Richard F. Keller, Leavenworth. Lieutenant General, U.S. Army (retired).
* Chaplain Orris E. Kelly, Manhattan. Major General, U.S. Army (retired).
* Gary LaGrange, Manhattan. Colonel, U.S. Army (retired).
* Richard B. Myers, Arlington, V.A. General, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, U.S. Air Force (retired).
* Robert R. Ulin, Lansing. Colonel, U.S. Army (retired).
* Dave Warnken, Hutchinson. Navy Seabees May 1966-Feb 1972, American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Moran is a senior member of the House Veterans Affairs Committee.