Tribute To Slavco Madzarov -- (Extensions of Remarks - May 12, 2009)
SPEECH OF HON. BILL PASCRELL, JR. OF NEW JERSEY
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
* Mr. PASCRELL. Madam Speaker, I would like to call to your attention the work of an outstanding individual, Mr. Slavco Madzarov who will be recognized on May, 5, 2009 by Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark as ``Humanitarian of the Year.'' It is only fitting that he be honored in this, the permanent record of the greatest democracy ever known, for his story is a true embodiment of the American Dream.
* Slavco Madzarov was born in Maravci in the Republic of Macedonia on August 16, 1957. After earning an Associates Degree in Skopje and completing his mandatory military service in the Army, Slavco left Macedonia to come here to the United States of America to find a better opportunity to fulfill his potential.
* Slavco arrived here in December 1987, settling in Paterson, NJ. Three years later, he married the love of his life, Kamenka, and they moved to Clifton, NJ, where they still reside with their children, daughter Blagica, now 16, and son Steven, now 13. Slavco and his wife are naturalized citizens of the United States.
* Within a few years of coming to the United States, Slavco opened his own business. Slavco Construction, Inc., specializes in removing asbestos and professionally executing technical and specific construction tasks. Slavco Construction, Inc. has grown rapidly and is recognized as one of the most respected construction firms in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania. The company prides itself on abiding by environmental construction regulations. Slavco's talent, hard work and dedication have allowed him to celebrate the 18th anniversary of Slavco Construction, Inc., as a company in continual growth.
* Slavco has made the most of the opportunities that have been possible for him, and he is always willing to help others in return. He spends much of his energy, good will and financial resources to improve the lives of the residents of New Jersey and also those in his homeland of Macedonia. Slavco has completed Community Emergency Response Team training, conducted by FEMA, and is a member of the President's Citizens Corps. In addition, he is an active member of the New Jersey Chamber of Commerce, the President's Club, and the New Jersey Business and Industry Association.
* Slavco has received awards and honors from the Passaic County Sheriff's Department, the Polish-American Children's Foundation, Passaic County 200 Club, New Jersey Civil Service Association, the Sheriff Jerry Speziale Foundation for Community Service, and the Giblin Association. He was named Man of the Year by the Greater Paterson Leadership Council. In a resolution passed by the New Jersey General Assembly, Slavco was recognized for his numerous and significant contributions to the State of New Jersey. He has been granted an Honorary Chieftainship in Nigeria and has participated on a mission to the country in 2003 to review and analyze the socio-political and economic situation there.
* In the Macedonian community, Slavco is a member and supporter of the Macedonian Orthodox Churches Sts. Kiril and Metodij in Cedar Grove, New Jersey, and St. Nikola in Totowa, New Jersey. He is an avid soccer fan, and is a supporter of the Macedonian Soccer Club of Clifton, New Jersey, and the Miravci Soccer Club in Macedonia. Since its founding in 2004, Slavco has strongly supported the United Macedonian Diaspora, the only Washington, DC-based international organization representing Macedonians and Macedonian communities around the world. Slavco is the recipient of the September 14th Golden Plaque Award from the municipality of Sveti Nikole in Macedonia. Slavco and his family frequently visit Macedonia.
* The job of a United States Congressman involves much that is rewarding, yet nothing compares to learning about and recognizing the efforts of individuals like Slavco Madzarov.
* Madam Speaker, I ask that you join our colleagues, Slavco's family and friends, all those who have been touched by him, and me in recognizing the outstanding contributions of Mr. Slavco Madzarov to his community.