Rep. Blumenauer Votes to Create Jobs with Investments in Transportation, Clean Energy, Healthcare
Today, Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.), a member of the House Committee on Budget, voted in favor of final passage of H.Con.Res 85, the Fiscal Year 2010 Budget Resolution. Blumenauer hailed this as an honest budget that puts the nation on a path to recovery.
This five-year economic plan will cut the deficit nearly two-thirds by 2013 and cuts taxes for middle class families by $1.5 trillion. It will create jobs and grow our economy with targeted investments and reforms in health care, clean energy and transportation.
"President Obama inherited from the Bush administration the largest deficit in United States history. The budget is the most important challenge that every Congress faces. It reflects our priorities and it shows how we deal with war and peace, the economy, healthcare and the environment, who pays and who benefits," said Rep. Blumenauer. "Nationwide, families are hurting. In Oregon, statewide unemployment has topped 10% and 1 in 5 Oregonians are on food stamps. This budget will help create jobs for Oregonians by investing in clean energy, health care, and transportation. By passing this budget, members of the House rolled up their sleeves and delivered a long term, broad economic plan that deals with challenges the American people face."
Last week, Blumenauer sent a letter to Budget Committee Chairman John Spratt (D-SC) detailing his top priorities for responsible government investment. Of these priorities Blumenauer outlined, the following passed in today's House budget.
Rep. Blumenauer's Budget Priorities in the House Passed Budget Resolution:
Transportation and Infrastructure
* The Budget Resolution provides a solid foundation for the authorization of the surface transportation act to ensure that we have sufficient resources to renew and rebuild America.
* The Budget establishes a Reserve Fund, allowing an initial commitment of $324 billion to increase, if the additional spending can be accommodated in Highway Trust Fund. This demonstrates this Congress'sand President Obama'scommitment to putting people to work building better communities across the country.
Energy Independence and Security·
* Includes deficit-neutral reserve fund for legislation to promote energy independence, spur the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, and help businesses, states, communities, and households adjust to an economy with reduced emission levels.·
* Provides job opportunities in the new energy economy. Provides tax incentives for renewable energy. Funds weatherization to help low-income families. Creates "green collar" jobs.
* Includes a deficit-neutral reserve fund and reconciliation instructions to prepare for an overhaul of the health care system. Reform is needed to reduce the growth of health care costs, the largest single contributor to projected long-term deficits, and a growing burden on our businesses' ability to compete in the global marketplace and on American families' prosperity.