LOEBSACK VOTES TO HELP HARDWORKING IOWANS ON MAIN STREET
House of Representatives Passes Job Creation and Unemployment Relief Package
Today, Congressman Dave Loebsack voted in strong support of the Job Creation and Unemployment Relief Act, H.R. 7110 to address the financial challenges facing Iowa families and our small businesses. This economic stimulus package will help boost our economy, create jobs, and help provide additional relief to families who are struggling during this current economic uncertainty.
"During these uncertain economic times Iowans are struggling now, more than ever, just to make ends meet," said Congressman Loebsack. "I understand that too many folks are working harder for less and paying more for health care, college, gas, and other necessities. The measures included in this legislation are critical to providing relief to Iowa families, jumpstarting the local economy, and creating new jobs through expanded investments."
Iowa is unfortunately not immune from the economic challenges facing our nation. The unemployment rate over the past year in our state has climbed .8% as a result of failed economic policies enacted by the current Administration. In Iowa during the month of August this year the unemployment rate was at 4.6%, while during the same period in 2007 the unemployment rate was 3.8%. The Job Creation and Unemployment Relief Act aims to jump start the economy by making critical investments that not only help struggling families, but also quickly produce economic expansion at all levels of the economy.
The provisions in this economic recovery package include:
Investments in Infrastructure
* Provides $12.8 billion for our nation's aging highways and bridges, to improve safety and reduce traffic congestion.
Flood Control & Recovery
* Provide $5 billion to the Army Corps of Engineers to make critical improvements in water resource infrastructure with improved flood protection.
* Includes critical provisions from the 21st Century Green High Performing Public School Facilities Act, the legislation Congressman Loebsack helped author to provide $3 billion to repair crumbling schools, provide students with first class technology, and to improve energy efficiency.
Investment in Renewable & Alternative Energy
* Provides $500 million to help encourage further development of Iowa's homegrown renewable fuels.
Expanded Unemployment Compensation & Job Training
* Provides an additional 7 weeks of extended benefits for workers who have exhausted regular unemployment compensation and $500 million to help Americans find and prepare for good jobs.
* Provides $2.6 billion to address rising food costs for seniors, people with disabilities and very poor families with children.