Mike grew up in Northern Maine where people rely on their cars and trucks for work, to get their kids to school, and to get to the grocery store. In rural Maine, cars are necessary and the rise in fuel prices has severely challenged family and business budgets. Mainers overwhelmingly rely on oil to heat our homes. Winter is coming and people are facing skyrocketing fuel bills, which is why it's so important that we take action now. For too long, partisan squabbling has gotten in the way of real solutions, while families struggle to pay their energy bills. Mike is working in Congress to find a compromise.
THE MICHAUD PLAN TO LOWER ENERGY COSTS FOR THIS WINTER
* Immediately release oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to increase supply now to lower prices.
* Increase funding for the LIHEAP program so more seniors and families can receive assistance to pay soaring energy bills.
* Increase weatherization assistance to help Maine businesses and families save on energy costs.
* Further crack down on energy speculators that exploit regulatory loopholes by trading outside of conventional oil markets and drive up the price of fuel.
Mike Michaud knows that to decrease Maine's dependence on foreign oil there is no "silver bullet" solution. Congressman Michaud is working in Congress to put all options on the table and find a solution to the long-term energy problem.
THE MICHAUD PLAN FOR LONG-TERM ENERGY INDEPENDENCE
* End the partisan bickering so that we can increase domestic production through expanded drilling on and offshore.
* Invest in renewable energy to help end our dependence on foreign oil, increase our national security, and create jobs.
* Encourage wind generation, tidal power and bio-fuel production right here in Maine.