Energy fuels our cars, powers our homes and sustains America's high standard of living. I believe that Congress must formulate a comprehensive U.S. energy policy that promotes affordable, safe, clean and dependable sources of energy. A responsible energy policy must include increased domestic energy production to reduce our dependence on politically unstable nations and instead promote high paying energy industry jobs in this country.
As a member of the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Caucus, I am also committed to promoting wind, solar, tidal/ocean, and geothermal energy. Clean, renewable energy will play an increasingly important role in our overall portfolio, and Congress should incentivize research and development in these areas.
I am a cosponsor of the following bills to address increasing energy costs, reduce dependence on foreign sources of energy and promote American jobs:
SUPPORT AMERICAN-MADE ENEGRY
National Environment and Energy Development Act
* Lifts the current federal moratoria on offshore energy development
* Gives states ultimate control over whether to develop or not develop energy up to 100 miles offshore
* Preserves critical wetlands and barrier islands by prohibiting energy development within 25 miles of the coastline
* Encourages environmentally responsible natural gas development beyond 100 miles
* Directs a portion of royalties to environmental restoration, renewable energy and carbon sequestration research
American Energy Independence and Price Reduction Act
* Allows environmentally responsible energy development of 2,000 acres of Alaskan Coastal Plan to produce an estimated 10.4 billion barrels of oil
* Establishes Alternative Energy Trust Fund to develop renewable and alternative energy projects, including geothermal, hydro, biomass, cellulosic biofuel, wind, tidal/ocean energy, and solar power
PROMOTING RENEWABLE ENERGY, 21ST TECHNOLOGY AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY
Clean and Green Renewable Energy Tax Credit Act of 2007
* Extends the existing $3,000 per kilowatt federal tax credit for solar energy installation
* Extends federal tax credits for energy efficient insulation, windows, and heating and cooling equipment
* Extends the production tax credit for large-scale commercial wind facilities and creates a 30% investment tax credit for small wind systems
Generating Renewable Energy and Encouraging Novel Technologies Act of 2007
* Encourages clean coal technology
* Incentivizes for renewable energy such as wind, biofuel, ethanol, solar, ocean and geothermal
* Incentivizes high tech electric transmission and distribution infrastructure
* Promotes energy efficient commercial buildings
* Encourages zero carbon emission nuclear power
* Encourages low impact domestic oil shale production
Roofing Energy Efficiency Tax Act of 2007
* Encourages installation of energy efficient roofing systems
Zeroing In American Energy Act of 2008
* Authorizes the U.S. Government to lease and develop federal land for solar energy production
Clean Energy Tax Stimulus Act of 2008
* Extends federal tax incentives for electricity produced from renewable sources like wind, biomass, hydropower, and geothermal
* Extends the 30% investment credit for businesses that install solar or fuel cell equipment
* Encourages energy efficient commercial and residential buildings
* Encourages development of energy efficient home appliances
I also support legislation passed by the House of Representatives that would:
Free up more oil for U.S. markets
Strategic Petroleum Reserve Fill Suspension and Consumer Protection Act
I voted for legislation passed by Congress and signed into law by the President that has halted shipments of crude oil into the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, increasing crude supplies by 70,000 barrels of oil per day.
Increase pressure on Middle Eastern oil producing nations
Gas Price Relief for Consumers Act
I voted in favor of legislation passed by Congress that would allow the U.S. Department of Justice to take legal action against OPEC if the oil cartel were found to manipulate or fix the price of oil or natural gas. The bill would also create a Department of Justice Petroleum Industry Antitrust Task Force to examine allegations of price manipulation of crude products.
Increase the military's ability to use alternative fuels
The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA)
I voted in the House Armed Services Committee and on the House floor in favor of a provision in the NDAA that would repeal Section 526 of the recently enacted energy law (Public Law 110-140, the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007). Section 526 restricts the federal government's ability to procure alternative or synthetic fuels for airplanes and vehicles. For example, as the leading user of fuel in the federal government, the U.S. Air Force has been a leader in developing alternative jet fuel to reduce their reliance on imported oil. This legislation passed the House of Representatives on May 22, 2008.
Encourage alternative fuels and scrutinize energy markets
The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
The Farm Bill, passed by the House of Representatives on May 21, 2008 by a vote of 316-108, includes tax credits to promote the production of cellulosic biofuels and next generation technologies that promote renewable fuels. The bill also contained provisions to strengthen Commodities Futures Trading Commission rules to end market manipulation in energy markets. I was pleased to vote in favor of this legislation.