* Supported the Green Schools Modernization Act, which provides critical investments to modernize, renovate and repair school facilities across the country, while encouraging energy efficiency and creating nearly 140,000 new jobs. The legislation passed the House in May 2009.
* Supported the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act, which was signed into law by President Obama in April 2009. The national service bill dramatically increases the size of the AmeriCorps service program over the next eight years, expands ways for students to earn money for college and creates opportunities for all Americans to serve in communities.
* Supported increasing funding for Head Start, the early education and child development program for four and five year olds. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act provided $1 billion, which will allow the program to serve an additional 16,600 children and will include upgrades to centers and classrooms, increase hours of operation and enhance transportation.
* Supported increasing funding for Early Head Start, a child development program for infants and toddlers ages newborn to three. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act provided $1.1 billion, which will allow for the expansion of the program, serving 55,000 more pregnant women, infants and toddlers and nearly doubling the number of participants.
* Supported the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which provided $44 billion in federal funds to the Department of Education. This funding paves the way for families to pay for college by boosting federal student aid through increasing Pell Grants scholarships by $500 to $5,350 for 2009 and 2010. The funding also extends work study programs for an additional 133,000 of our nation's students.