U.S. Representative Rick Larsen released the following statement today on The Comprehensive American Energy Security and Consumer Protection Act (H.R. 6899), which passed the House last night by a vote of 236-189:
"From talking to constituents in my district, I know that working families aren't getting pinched at the pump, they are getting punched. For too long, our country has had an energy policy that doesn't put American consumers and taxpayers first. That needs to change.
"Earlier this year, Congress took the first step -- by passing the first increase in vehicle fuel efficiency standards in 32 years to save consumers money at the pump and protect our environment, and making new investments in American-grown, renewable energy.
"Last night, the House took the next step and passed a landmark energy bill to:
* Lower gas prices for consumers;
* Create good-paying American jobs;
* Make a historic investment in renewable energy sources to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and increase our national security;
* Ensure that taxpayers get their fair share of energy royalties;
* And expand domestic drilling, offshore and on land.
"This legislation is absolutely critical, and I urge the Senate to pass it and the President to sign it.
"Our dependence on foreign oil is a threat to our national security, economy and environment. We need a comprehensive energy plan to create American jobs, bring down prices for working families paying too much at the pump, and help make us energy independent. We need that change now."