* Introduced resolution in June 2008 calling for a U.S.-led international effort to lessen the impact of price speculation in the oil markets.
* Teaming up with environmental and taxpayer groups, Tom has fought costly, environmentally damaging projects - like the successful 10-year battle to stop the $1 billion American River dam in California, which would have destroyed the pristine Auburn canyon.
* Votes to protect our wetlands, public lands and coastal areas, and against drilling in the Great Lakes and Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
* Votes against needless taxpayer subsidies like the $40 million a year subsidy for logging in the Tongass National Forest in Alaska.
* Long-time supporter of proposals to encourage development and use of renewable, alternative fuels and voted for higher fuel efficiency standards to reduce our dependence on foreign oil.
* Cosponsored legislation to reduce number of "boutique" fuels in Wisconsin - which drives up costs for drivers.
* Teamed up with Democratic member to cosponsor a bill to begin to address global warming in a way that encourages innovation without unduly harming our economy.
* Has voted for and cosponsored a variety of bills to protect the Great Lakes from Asian Carp and other invasive species.