Protecting Our Nation's Finest
We must never forget the brave men and women who serve this great nation and keep in their hearts the passion of our founding fathers. The United States has a duty to protect, defend, and support freedom in all its forms around the globe. Our fighting men and women serve this noble cause with distinction and we all owe them a debt of gratitude.
My husband, Dexter, fought proudly and was wounded in combat in Vietnam. My step-son Doug and his wife Lindsay proudly follow in his footsteps having recently returned from tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I know from them, and countless other active duty service members and veterans, that we must never forget the sacrifices these men and women make.
* I am a co-sponsor of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act. This act will increase educational benefits available to all members of the military who have served on active duty since September 11, 2001. It will increase the amount available to the veteran, increase the time in which they are eligible to use the assistance, and allow for voluntary matching dollar amounts from universities.
* I recently voted for the Veterans' Benefits Improvement Act to provide adaptive housing assistance for disabled members of the Armed Forces. As well, it will allow for a Visual Impairment and Orientation and Mobility Professionals Scholarship Program to ensure there are enough qualified blind rehabilitation specialists for the Department of Veterans Affairs.
* I also supported the Dignified Treatment of Wounded Warriors Act to enhance availability of care for service members, improve services for dependents, and streamline the care process.
* I have voted in favor of the Veterans Outreach Improvement Act to ensure that our veterans have access to the services they need.
* I voted for the Veterans Suicide Prevention Act which was signed into law and will help veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
* The Veterans' Health Care Improvement Act, which I have voted in favor of, authorizes the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to make grants to private, nonprofit entities to conduct workshop programs to assist in the therapeutic readjustment and rehabilitation of our veterans.
* I have also worked to ensure passage of the Defenders of Freedom Tax Relief Act to amend the Internal Revenue Code to provide tax relief and earnings assistance to members of the uniformed services.