Protecting Medicare and Medicaid
During my years in Congress, I have worked to strengthen and ensure the sustainability of both Medicare and Medicaid. My support for legislative initiatives designed to make Medicare programs more effective and financially solvent has continued.
* I cosponsored the Medicare Access to Rehabilitation Services Act, which would repeal the outpatient therapy cap.
* I cosponsored H.R. 1459, which would amend the Deficit Reduction Act and increase the number of individuals who are covered as Medicare beneficiaries.
* I cosponsored the Protecting the Medicaid Safety Net Act, which would increases benefits to beneficiaries, especially veterans and the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
Strengthening Social Security
After a lifetime of hard work, seniors deserve their full benefits. Many are concerned over the fact that more and more Americans are retiring. Social Security is one of the foundations of our nation's commitment to those who have spent their lifetime working and we must make sure it is always available to those who need it.
* I have cosponsored the Social Security Fairness Act, which would help offset pension requirements that are hurting many program recipients.
* I have also cosponsored the Notch Fairness Act. It would ensure fair benefit computations for Social Security recipients who became eligible between 1979 and 1988.