Ros-Lehtinen continues to lead in the Congressional effort to create more inexpensive housing for senior citizens in the Miami-Dade area. The Miami Congresswoman is pushing for the provision that South Florida's seniors have a secure and pleasant place to live.
Programs like HUD's section 202 demonstrate her committment that senior citizens aged 62 and over whose income is a 50% of area median income or less receive housing facilities that they can afford.
Ensuring Affordable Housing For All South Floridians
Every American deserves the opportunity to full the "American Dream" of owning a home. However, the recent national housing downturn has increased the need for federal intervention in order to ensure that our homeowners are protected.
* I recently voted in favor of the FHA Housing Stabilization and Homeowner Retention Act. This legislation provides mortgage refinancing assistance to keep families from losing their homes, protect neighboring home values, and help stabilize the housing market.
* American homeowners need to know that their government will not abandon them.
* This legislation is a great first step in addressing the mortgage crisis.
* The FHA program created by this legislation is voluntary and will provide much needed mortgage refinancing assistance to families.
* It will allow hard-working American families to stay in their homes, as well as protect neighborhood and help stabilize the housing market.
* The government will also be protected from undue risk in taking on risky mortgages.
* This legislation will not reward speculators, irresponsible borrowers or those who engaged in out-right mortgage fraud.
o It will protect those American homeowners who were truly victimized by predatory lending and by the effects of the market downturn.
* I also voted in favor of the National Affordable Housing Trust Fund Act. This bill establishes a national affordable housing trust fund to build or preserve over a million homes over the next decade. Increasing the supply of affordable housing will help ensure that South Florida families who have lost their homes can find housing.
* I supported the Section 8 Voucher Reform Act. This legislation mandates much-needed changes to the organization of the Department of Housing and Urban Development's Section 8 public housing program and also increases the availability of vouchers for South Florida families.