Improving College Affordability
As a former education and life-long student, I understand the importance of an education for professional and personal development. As such, ensuring that our young people have the access to a comprehensive education has been a top priority of mine. Our students deserve the best we can offer them, and that is what I continue to work in improving our school system.
* During my tenure in the State Legislature, I co-authored the Florida Prepaid College Program. This landmark program allows families and businesses to lock in the cost of college today, so that students and parents do not have to worry about increased costs of higher education over time. This program continues to be in effect today and has helped over a million young people who would not ordinarily be able to afford a college education.
* I voted in favor of the Ensuring Continued Access to Student Loans Act. This will give the Department of Education the authority to purchase student loans from lenders, increase the unsubsidized Stafford loan limit, and provided an optional grace period so that parents can defer certain loan payments until after their children graduate.
* I voted in favor of the College Opportunity and Affordability Act, which seeks to address many of the issues facing post-high school students. By passing this legislation we are working to make college credits easier to transfer, strengthening Pell Grants, and simplifying the Free Application for Federal Student Aid just to name a few items.
Expanding Educational Opportunities
* I supported the Improving Head Start for School Readiness Act. This bill is an important step in strengthening our children's education. Having children begin their schooling early ensures that they are prepared and eager to face the challenges that await them in life as well as in the classroom.
* I am a supporter of the Senator Paul Simon Study Abroad Foundation Act which provides college students greater access to grants for non-traditional study abroad destinations.