As a wife and mother of two daughters, I understand the importance of protecting our children from predators both on the streets and in online chat rooms.
* I cosponsored H.R.1120, Deleting Online Predators Act to require schools and libraries that receive support to enforce a policy that prohibits access to a commercial social networking website or chat room unless used for an educational purpose with adult supervision. The bill also protects against access to visual depictions that are obscene, child pornography, or are harmful to minors.
* I cosponsored HR 367, The Gang Elimination Act to help develop a national strategy to eliminate the illegal operations of drug gangs.
* I cosponsored H.R.1759, Managing Arson Through Criminal History Act to establish and maintain jurisdiction-wide arsonist registries and make such registries available on the Internet. It also requires a criminal arsonist to register in each jurisdiction in which such arsonist resides, is an employee, or is a student.
* I cosponsored H.R.1806, Youth Crime Deterrence Act to provide juveniles in the justice system with basic health, mental health, and education services, as well as increase community-based alternatives to incarceration of juveniles.
* I cosponsored H.R.668, Web Video Violence Act to reduce funding for states which fail to certify that their laws or official policies require increased penalties for a criminal defendant convicted of a violent crime who places a video or image of the commission of such crime on the Internet.