As a former educator, I know the importance of a good education to a bright future. To that end, I have made education a central part of my tenure in Congress. Our students must be prepared for a 21st Century world and given the right tools to lead us into a better tomorrow.
* In the Florida Legislature, I co-authored the Florida Prepaid College Program. This program has helped hundreds of thousands of students to attend college by allowing their parents to lock in the cost of current college tuition rates.
We must make sure a quality college education is available to all those who desire one.
* I voted for the Ensuring Continued Access to Student Loans Act which would give the Department of Education the ability to buy student loans from lenders, increase the Stafford loan limit and provide an optional grace period so that loans may be deferred until after the student graduates.
We must ensure education maintains its importance as a vital national priority.
* I voted for the College Opportunity and Affordability Act which will work to make college credits more easily transferable, simplify the application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and strengthen Pell Grants.
* I supported the Improving Head Start for School Readiness Act, this act would improve Head Start so that children can begin their education earlier in life and be better prepared.
* I supported the Senator Paul Simon Study Abroad Foundation Act, this would provide college students more access to scholarships and grants for study abroad programs.
* $200,000 for Monroe County Public Schools student computer program