The economy is one of my top concerns; we must ensure that every American who wants a job can find one. That's why I have taken proactive steps in Congress to address our economic situation.
* All Floridians must earn a living wage. I was proud to vote to increase the minimum wage from $5.15 an hour to $7.25 an hour, this change will help Floridians to provide for their families.
* I voted for the Economic Stimulus Act , this measure was proposed to reinvigorate the economy and help those who are struggling with rising costs.
* To help homeowners keep their homes, I have voted for several measures to provide stabilization. Recently I voted for the FHA Housing Stabilization and Homeowner Retention Act, which would help homeowners by providing refinancing assistance, protecting values of adjacent properties and would provide some stabilization to the housing market.
* I co-sponsored the Financial Security Accounts for Individuals with Disabilities Act, this act would allow the creation of tax-free financial security accounts for those with disabilities to pay expenses for those individuals such as education, medical care, and employment training benefits so that they may be able to join the workforce.
* I co-sponsored the 401Kids Family Savings Act, this act would allow tax-free disbursements from a Coverdell education savings account for expenses incurred by first-time home buyers and would permit rollover to Roth individual retirement accounts (IRA) from Coverdell education savings accounts.
Rising gas prices are a burden to the American consumer and threaten to hurt our economy. In Congress, I have been sure to address this issue at every possible opportunity and made your voice heard on this important issue.
* I voted for important domestic energy legislation to help reduce America's dependence on foreign sources of energy and to encourage use of clean energy technologies. This bill establishes a renewable electricity standard, requiring all private utilities to generate 15% of the energy they produce from renewable sources by the year 2020. It also requires automakers to increase fuel efficiency for vehicles they produce to an average of 35 miles per gallon by 2020.
* In order to maintain our pristine environment, I have consistently voted against drilling for oil off the Florida coast. The negligible energy benefits gained from drilling pale in comparison to the damage that can be done to our environment.
* In order to allow the United States to have access to a competitive supply of natural gas, I led in Congress by authoring House Resolution 500 stating the establishment of an international natural gas cartel is a threat to U.S. national security.