INTRODUCTION OF RESOLUTION COMMEMORATING THE 63RD ANNIVERSARY OF THE UNITED NATIONS -- (Extensions of Remarks - June 24, 2008)
HON. CAROLYN B. MALONEY
OF NEW YORK
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TUESDAY, JUNE 24, 2008
* Mrs. MALONEY of New York. Madam Speaker, today, along with Chairman DELAHUNT of the Subcommittee on International Organizations, Human Rights and Oversight, I am introducing legislation to commemorate the 63rd anniversary of the founding of the United Nations.
* Since its founding, the United Nations has made many contributions to the global community in the fields of health, education, peace-keeping and humanitarian aid.
* For 63 years the United Nations has provided a forum for the achievement of international cooperation in solving the world's most pressing economic, social and humanitarian problems including climate change, trafficking in humans, combating global terrorism, and responding quickly to disasters such as the tsunami in South East Asia in 2004.
* The United Nations has visionary new leadership that should also be commended. Under Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, the United Nations launched a multi-year campaign to improve awareness amongst global policy-makers at the highest levels regarding issues relating to violence against women.
* Joining us are Representatives JIM MCDERMOTT, MAURICE HINCHEY, SAM FARR, MADELEINE BORDALLO, DONNA CHRISTENSEN, JOSÉ SERRANO, JIM MCGOVERN, DENNIS KUCINICH, CHAKA FATTAH, ROBERT BRADY, BETTY MCCOLLUM, JAMES P. MORAN, EDDIE BERNICE JOHNSON, RAÚL GRIJALVA, and BARBARA LEE.
* I look forward to working with Chairman Delahunt and my other colleagues to pledge the support of Congress to the United Nations as the organization moves forward and to commend the United Nations for sixty-three years of good work.