- Mr. BACA. Madam Speaker, the positive contributions of the immigrant labor force to our
society are too often unnoticed.
- Hardworking families contribute daily and pay their share into the American system.
- Hardworking mothers sometimes work three jobs, give up weekends, and take overtime and
night shifts to feed and clothe their children.
- Hardworking fathers wake up at 4 a.m. to go to work, earn below minimum wages, and manage to provide for their families.
- Immigrants contribute in taxes from their paychecks, just like the next person.
- In fact, the IRS reported that between 1996-2003, immigrants contributed $50 billion in
- Social Security reported that ``other than legal immigrants,'' will contribute 15 percent of the
system's projected long term deficit.
- We cannot afford to ignore the figures and more importantly, we cannot afford to ignore the
positive contributions of immigrants in America.