Daniel J. Crothers
I have spent more than 20 years in the private practice of law, which has provided me with the real world experiences of running a law office, attracting, retaining and serving clients, preparing cases, and trying them to judges and juries.
I have argued more than 20 appeals before the North Dakota Supreme Court, and have been closely involved in the briefing and presentation of many more. I have argued before the Eighth United States Court of Appeals and have been involved in the briefing and preparation of numerous additional appeals to that and other appellate courts around the country.
* President, State Bar Association of North Dakota, June 2001June 2002, and President- Elect, June 2000June 2001.
* Board of Governors, State Bar Association of North Dakota, June 2000June 2003.
* President, Ronald N. Davies American Inn of Court, June 2000June 2001. Founding member and past Vice-President 1999-2000, and Treasurer 19971998.
* Lawyer member, North Dakota Judicial Ethics Advisory Committee, 1998 to present.
* Member, Joint Supreme Court and State Bar Committee on Judicial Standards, 2004 to present.
* Member and former Chair, Joint Supreme Court and State Bar Association of North Dakota Committee on Attorney Standards, 1997 to 2003, and member of predecessor committees December 1998December 1999, and 19941997.
* Member and former Chair, SBAND Inquiry Committee East 1990-1995.
* Adjunct Faculty, Moorhead State University (now Minnesota State UniversityMoorhead) for the 6 academic years 1985 to 1990.
* Presented dozens of basic and advanced continuing legal education (CLE) seminars to judges, lawyers and legal assistants, and numerous presentations to high school, college and law school students on topics including lawyer and judicial ethics, technology and real estate.
* Nilles Law Firm, Fargo, North Dakota, January 1987 to present. Shareholder, management committee and past member of the Board of Directors of diversified 20 lawyer, three office, law firm. Practice focused on commercial litigation, business organizations disputes, contract disputes, railroad and real property issues, including complex, multi-party litigation, and class actions, in both Federal and State Courts.
* Vinje Law Office, Fargo, North Dakota, associate lawyer, June 1985 to December, 1986 in two lawyer commercial office practice and litigation firm.
* Kegel, Glass, McDevitt & Morow law firm, Santa Fe, NM, associate lawyer, 1984 - 1985, engaged in general civil litigation and extensive 42 U.S.C. § 1983 litigation in Federal Courts.
* DePuy, Kopperud, Goulet & Hall, Grafton, ND, 1983-84, associate lawyer in general practice law firm handling both transactional and litigation matters.
* Assistant States Attorney, Walsh County, ND, 1983-84, responsible for misdemeanor appearances and trials, and felony arraignments.
* Law Clerk for New Mexico Court of Appeals, Santa Fe, NM, 1982-83, Hon. Ramon Lopez, performing research, opinion writing, assisted with Judge's committee assignments.
* University of North Dakota School of Law, 1982, J.D. with Distinction; Editorial Staff, North Dakota Law Review, 1980-82; Central Legal Research, research assistant 1981-82 and Research Assistant, Professor Larry Kraft 1981-82.
* University of North Dakota, B.A. with honors, 1979 Major studies in Political Science and Journalism, Early American History Minor. Chief photographer and staff writer for 4 years with Dakota Student Newspapers, Resident Assistant with the UND Housing Department for 3 years.
ASSOCIATIONS AND OFFICES
* Director, Pelican Group of Lakes Improvement District (MN), 2002-present.
* Member, Hope Lutheran Church, Fargo, ND.
* Past Board of Directors, Dakota Chapter of the Multiple Scleroses Society.