Parents, along with local teachers, principals, and school boards, know best how to spend our education tax dollars.
When it comes right down to it, I trust the people in Washington Parish to make decisions regarding their children's education far more than I trust the bureaucrats in Washington, DC.
That's why I supported President Bush's education reform package. This legislation is shifting much more education decision-making and money back home.
Some of my other efforts to improve our schools include:
* Visiting dozens of schools and hosting regular education forums throughout Louisiana.
* Authoring legislation to fully fund the federal special education commitment.
* Introducing legislation to allow schools to properly discipline special education students who bring weapons or drugs to school.
* Co-sponsoring a $1,000 per child education tax credit.
* Funding a $1.3 million statewide initiative to improve technology in the classroom and prepare our children for 21st Century jobs.