HIRE A VETERAN WEEK
* Mr. BACA. Madam Speaker, I ask unanimous consent to address the House for 1 minute.
* Madam Speaker, I rise today in support of H. Con. Res. 5, which would direct the President to establish Hire a Veteran Week.
* As a veteran, I want to thank my colleague, Representative Holt, for introducing this resolution on behalf of our brave troops who fight for our freedom.
* Madam Speaker, unemployment rates for veterans in their twenties are almost twice as high as their civilian peers.
* This is unacceptable.
* We're sending 18- and 19-year-olds to fight in a mistaken war in Iraq.
* The least we can do is make sure that they have a good job when they come home.
* The system is broken, Madam Speaker. And our veterans are paying the price.
* Our veterans show us excellence in the battlefield--they will show us excellence in the workplace.
* I urge my colleagues to support this resolution and to give our veterans the dignity and respect they deserve.