Rep. Dent signs pledge to support America's schoolchildren
U.S. Rep. Charlie Dent (PA-15) signed the Pledge to America's Schoolchildren, an education campaign supported by the National School Board Association.
"Every child in America deserves access to a quality education," expressed Congressman Dent. "As a member of Congress, I will continue to work to ensure our children are equipped with the tools and instruction necessary to excel in our increasingly competitive global economy."
The pledge, signed by almost 70 members of both parties in Congress, asks all co-signers to:
* Improve the No Child Left Behind Act to give school districts better measures for student and school performance, and the support needed to close the achievement gap;
* Help school districts meet the needs of students with disabilities by supporting the funding goals of the Individuals with Disabilities Improvement Act (IDEA);
* Support school readiness programs for children entering kindergarten;
* Help school districts to attract, train and retain highly qualified and effective teachers;
* Help school districts to provide all students with 21st Century skills and knowledge, including math, science and technology.