All Americans deserve to live in safe, healthy communities. Everyone deserves to drink clean water, breathe clean air and live in a toxin free environment. I will work hard to protect our natural resources and open spaces. I believe in encouraging conservation so we can protect America's wild heritage for our children.
The Republican controlled Congress and the White House are working hard to weaken environmental laws that protect our families. They want to make it easier for corporations to pollute our air and water and harder for American families to enjoy the outdoors and lead healthy lives. They are ignoring scientists' warnings about the catastrophic effects of climate change and they are propagating the myth that we can drill our way to energy independence. We need a change in leadership. We need elected officials who will work for the people and not the powerful special interests.
As your Congressman I will vote to:
* Invest in alternative fuels and renewable energy - Iowan's deserve a national energy policy that benefits the Midwest, not the Middle East. Bio-diesel and ethanol are economic powerhouses for this region and we should continue to develop them. Iowa is a leader in wind technology and I believe Congress needs to stop rigging the markets in favor of big oil to let this clean, renewable energy compete fairly.
* Improve Water Quality - Iowans suffer from some of the worst water quality in the Nation; nitrogen runoff from agriculture is polluting our lakes and rivers. The Republican Congress' solution is weakening clean water standards to save corporate interests money - I think the solution is actually making the water cleaner for our families. By improving technology and using smarter irrigation we can improve our water quality.
* Find solutions to Global Warming -The devastating consequences of climate change became all too real after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita - we need to take action now to prevent future tragedies. Global Warming is the biggest environmental threat facing the world today and our government is ignoring it. By promoting conservation, energy efficiency and increasing fuel economy for vehicles (40+ mpg) we can take big steps towards curbing this growing problem.
* End corporate welfare for the wealthy oil companies - We need to level the playing field so new, cleaner energy sources can fairly compete with dirty oil and gas. ExxonMobil reported 10.7 billion dollars in PROFIT last year. There is no reason for the federal government to subside these companies - particularly when they offer Americans no relief at the pump!
* Hold corporate polluters responsible for their mess - Congress should remember the simple adage "you break it, you buy it," when corporations hurt the environment and make people sick they - not the victims - should pay.
By restoring effective leadership to the US House of Representatives we can defend and strengthen the Nation's bedrock environmental laws. Protecting the environment is often a fight between the powerful few and the people. I will stand for environmental justice and I will fight for our children's right to inherit America's natural legacy.