Lofgren Supports Plan Offering a New Direction for America
Today, Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-San Jose) announced her support for the Democratic domestic proposal, a New Direction for America, that provides opportunity, security and prosperity for all Americans.
"Lavish tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, fiscal irresponsibility and Congressional Republicans "pay-for-play" culture have steered our nation in the wrong direction. Meanwhile, Americans are struggling to pay rising gas prices at the pump, send their children to college, and afford quality health care," said Rep. Lofgren. "Democrats are prepared to take the country in a new direction with proposals that address the real priorities of the American people. Instead of an agenda that favors the special interests, I support this new direction which puts the common good of all Americans first."
Rep. Lofgren and Democrats in Congress offer a New Direction, putting the common good of all Americans first for a change, and will:
· MAKE HEALTH CARE MORE AFFORDABLE: Put people ahead of HMOs and insurance companies; invest in stem cell and other medical research.
· LOWER GAS PRICES AND ACHIEVE ENERGY INDEPENDENCE: Crack down on price gouging; eliminate billions in subsidies for oil and gas companies and use the savings to provide consumer relief and develop American alternatives, including biofuels; promote energy efficient technology.
· HELP WORKING FAMILIES: Raise the minimum wage; end tax incentives for offshoring jobs.
· MAKE COLLEGE MORE AFFORDABLE: Make college tuition deductible from taxes; expand Pell grants and cut student loan costs.
· ENSURE DIGNIFIED RETIREMENT: Prevent the privatization of Social Security; expand savings incentives; ensure pension fairness.
· REQUIRE FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Restore the budget discipline of the 1990s that helped eliminate deficits and spur record economic growth.