A TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED NATIONS ASSOCIATION -- (Extensions of Remarks - September 21, 2005)
* Mr. SCHIFF. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to honor the United Nations Association of the United States of America, Pasadena/Foothills Chapter, on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the United Nations.
* The United Nations Association of the United States of America Pasadena/Foothills Chapter was formed in 1947 and is one of the largest UNA-USA chapters in the Nation, encompassing most of the San Gabriel Valley, Burbank, Glendale, and Northeast Los Angeles. In 1972, it was one of the first chapters to be incorporated and then began an extensive program to educate the general public about the United Nations.
* The Pasadena/Foothills Chapter of the UNA-USA has been most active in the field of education. They sponsor the UNA-USA National High School Essay Contest annually and also host current-event lectures on a regular basis. A quarterly newsletter, Our World, is also published to increase public awareness of advocacy issues and current foreign affairs. The Chapter has also most recently sponsored a Great Decisions course at Pasadena City College, taught by a current board member.
* The current focus of the Pasadena/Foothills Chapter is to incorporate the Model United Nations curriculum into elementary and high schools in the Pasadena Area. The Model U.N. program encourages leadership and cooperation, while giving students opportunities to take part in competitions in the arenas of International Affairs, Human Rights, and Conflict Resolution.
* The Pasadena/Foothills Chapter is also involved in many philanthropic efforts and sponsors an event known as the Night of a Thousand Dinners, raising over $12,000 in the last 2 years for land mine clearance. Trips to U.N. Conferences in countries such as Turkey, China, Italy, Cuba, and South Africa have also been organized by the Chapter.
* This year, the Pasadena/Foothills Chapter is celebrating the 60th Anniversary of the United Nations. The Chapter is organizing an event at the Pacific Asia Museum that showcases the artwork of local and international artists centering on the themes of peace and equality to commemorate the founding of the U.N.
* I ask all Members to join me in recognizing the United Nations Association of the United States of America, Pasadena/Foothills chapter, for its nearly 60 years of incredible work and service to the greater Pasadena Area.