(1) the incarceration and rehabilitation of convicted felons;
(2) the establishment and maintenance of programs that provide alternatives to incarceration;
(3) the commitment and rehabilitation of youths;
(4) the construction, operation, and management of correctional facilities of the state and facilities used for the commitment and rehabilitation of youths;
(5) juvenile delinquency and gang violence;
(6) criminal law, prohibitions, standards, and penalties as applied to juveniles;
(7) criminal procedure in the courts of Texas as it relates to juveniles; and
(8) the following state agencies: the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, the Special Prosecution Unit, the Board of Pardons and Paroles, the Texas Juvenile Justice Board, the Texas Juvenile Justice Department, the Office of Independent Ombudsman for the Texas Juvenile Justice Department, the Council on Sex Offender Treatment, the Texas Correctional Office on Offenders with Medical or Mental Impairments, and the Advisory Council on Juvenile Services.