Proposed by Initiative Petition
To adopt Section 6 to Article XV of the Constitution of the State of Ohio
Text of proposed amendment: http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/upload/ballotboard/2009/3-text.pdf
This proposed amendment would:
1. Authorize only one casino facility at a specifically designated location within each of the cities of Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, and Toledo.
2. Levy a fixed tax of 33% of gross casino revenue received by each casino operator of the four casino facilities.
3. Distribute the casino tax as follows:
* 51% among all 88 counties in proportion to such counties' respective populations. Half of each county's distribution will go to its largest city if that city's population is above 80,000.
* 34% among all public school districts
* 5% among all host cities
* 3% to the Ohio casino control commission
* 3% to the Ohio state racing commission fund
* 2% to a state law enforcement training fund
* 2% to a state problem gambling and addictions fund
4. Require each initial licensed casino operator to pay a single $50,000,000 fee to be used for state job training purposes and make a minimum initial investment of $250,000,000 in its facility.
5. Permit approved types of casino gaming authorized by Michigan, West Virginia, Indiana, and Pennsylvania as of January 1, 2009 or games subsequently authorized by those states.
6. Authorize the casinos to operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at the discretion of the casino operator and require that the casino facilities shall be subject to all state and local laws and provisions related to health and building codes, but that no local zoning, land use laws, subdivision regulations or similar provisions shall prohibit the development or operation of the casinos at the designated sites.
7. Create the Ohio casino control commission which will license and regulate casino operators, management companies retained by such casino operators, key employees, gaming-related vendors, and all gaming authorized by this constitutional provision.
A "YES" vote means you approve of amending the Ohio Constitution to permit one casino each in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, and Toledo.
A "NO" vote means you disapprove of amending the Ohio Constitution to permit one casino each in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, and Toledo.
A majority YES vote is required for the amendment to be adopted.