* Allows the state lottery to be modernized to improve its performance with increased payouts, improved marketing, and effective management.
* Requires the state to maintain ownership of the lottery and authorizes additional accountability measures.
* Protects funding levels for schools currently provided by lottery revenues.
* Increased lottery revenues will be used to address current budget deficit and reduce the need for additional tax increases and cuts to state programs.
Summary of Legislative Analyst's Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal
* Impact on 2009-10 State Budget: Allows $5 billion of borrowing from future lottery profits to help balance the 2009-10 state budget.
* Impact on Future State Budgets: Debt-service payments on the lottery borrowing and higher payments to education would likely make it more difficult to balance future state budgets. This impact would be lessened by potentially higher lottery profits. Additional lottery borrowing would be allowed.