* Requires that calves raised for veal, egg-laying hens and pregnant pigs be confined only in ways that allow these animals to lie down, stand up, fully extend their limbs and turn around freely.
* Exceptions made for transportation, rodeos, fairs, 4-H programs, lawful slaughter, research and veterinary purposes.
* Provides misdemeanor penalties, including a fine not to exceed $1,000 and/or imprisonment in jail for up to 180 days.
Summary of Legislative Analysts Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:
* Potential unknown decrease in state and local tax revenues from farm businesses, possibly in the range of several million dollars annually.
* Potential minor local and state enforcement and prosecution costs, partly offset by increased fine revenue.