Project Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.
Thaddeus McCotter refused to tell citizens where he stands on any of the issues addressed in the 2010 Political Courage Test, despite repeated requests from Vote Smart, national media, and prominent political leaders.
What is the Political Courage Test?
This candidate has demonstrated 0% courage during the test.
*Note: This percentage is calculated based on the number of issue areas addressed by the candidate on the Political Courage Test at the conclusion of the testing period. It does not indicate support or lack of support by Project Vote Smart.
In response to the increasing unwillingness of candidates to answer issue questions, Project Vote Smart has researched Presidential and Congressional candidates' public records to determine candidates' likely responses on certain key issues. These are provided below as a courtesy to voters.
Vote Smart's Research
- Thaddeus McCotter. March Madness--DC Style. 19 March 2010. "Mr. McCOTTER. What we are seeing now is a converse, but because the Senate bill has come back without the language to defend innocent human life that Representative Stupak has not only put into the House bill but has defended in principle here against the Senate bill, you're going to see a lot of Democrats on the other side of the aisle who are going to have to face a crisis of conscience: Will you continue despite what may be your perceived political self-interest to continue to defend the unborn in this process and from the taxpayer funding of abortion? And sadly we have seen so many not." (votesmart.org)
- National Right to Life Committee. 2009. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Thaddeus McCotter supported the interests of the National Right to Life Committee 100 percent in 2009. (votesmart.org)
- Planned Parenthood. 2008. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Thaddeus McCotter supported the interests of Planned Parenthood 0 percent in 2008. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. HR 760. 108th Congress. To prohibit the procedure commonly known as partial-birth abortion. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted YES on 4 June 2003. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. H Amdt 209 to HR 1815. 109th Congress. An amendment numbered 12 printed in House Report 109-96 to lift the current ban on privately funded abortions at U.S. military facilities overseas. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted NO on 25 May 2005. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. H Amdt 509 to HR 3962. 111th Congress. An amendment printed in Part C of House Report 111-330 to codify the Hyde Amendment in H.R. 3962. The amendment prohibits federal funds for abortion services in the public option. It also prohibits individuals who receive affordability credits from purchasing a plan that provides elective abortions. However, it allows individuals, both who receive affordability credits and who do not, to separately purchase with their own funds plans that cover elective abortions. It also clarifies that private plans may still offer elective abortions. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted YES on 7 November 2009. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. S 3. 108th Congress. A bill to prohibit the procedure commonly known as partial-birth abortion. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted YES on 2 October 2003. (votesmart.org)
- NARAL Pro-Choice America. 2009. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Thaddeus McCotter supported the interests of NARAL Pro-Choice America 0 percent in 2009. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. Letter to Barack Obama, President of the United States of America. 21 January 2009. "On January 22, our nation will mark the 36th anniversary of the tragic Roe v. Wade decision by the U.S. Supreme Court. Since Roe v. Wade, many laws including laws to prevent federal taxpayer funding for abortion have been enacted to mitigate the effects of the decision on unborn babies and their mothers. We hope that you would support the continuation of these laws and would oppose initiatives such as FOCA, which is more radical than the Roe v. Wade decision.
Cardinal Francis George of Chicago, the president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, recently warned FOCA "would deprive the American people in all fifty states of the freedom they now have to enact modest restraints and regulations on the abortion industry, [and] coerce all Americans into subsidizing and promoting abortion with their tax dollars." It would "have lethal consequences for prenatal human life [and] an equally destructive effect on the freedom of conscience of doctors, nurses and health care workers whose personal convictions do not permit them to cooperate in the private killing of unborn children," threatening health care institutions and charities throughout the country, he noted. Enacting FOCA or overturning existing policies would have the same effect. We ask that you reject this divisive agenda.
During the campaign you talked about reducing abortions. The Freedom of Choice Act would do the opposite. By overturning laws that require parental notification or consent before a minor girl obtains an abortion, the abortion rate will increase. A recent study by Dr. Michael J. New showed that when a state enacts a parental involvement law, the minor abortion rate falls by 19 to 31 percent.
Also, advocates on both sides of the abortion debate agree that longstanding provisions that restrict funding for abortions reduce the number of abortions dramatically. A recent study by Heather D. Boonstra appearing in the Guttmacher Policy Review showed that 18 to 35 percent of Medicaid patients who would have had an abortion carry their babies to term when Medicaid will not pay for their abortion. Restrictions on funding for abortion save lives and protect the consciences of millions of Americans who do not want their tax dollars to be used to destroy innocent human life.
You have expressed a desire to be a president for all Americans, and to use your presidency to promote initiatives that bring Americans together, rather than drive them apart. We recognize it will not always be easy for you to do this. However, too much is at stake for this divisive and destructive legislation to move forward and life-saving laws to be rolled back. We respectfully urge you to withdraw your pledge to sign FOCA, and that you pledge not to sign legislation that incrementally enacts FOCA by rescinding existing pro-life laws and legal protections." (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. Health Care. 21 January 2010. "One of the two heartless deals is the taxpayer funding of abortion which is in the Senate bill. And at this point, I would like to thank our Democratic colleague Bart Stupak for his efforts here to ensure that the House bill carried his provision to prevent the taxpayer funding of abortion. It was a rare moment of bipartisanship and a very difficult issue. He has been a man of strong courage and conviction and held his ground, and hopefully we could still see that provision remain if something is passed." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart's Research
- Thaddeus McCotter. HR 5638. 109th Congress. To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to increase the unified credit against the estate tax to an exclusion equivalent of $5,000,000 and to repeal the sunset provision for the estate and generation-skipping taxes, and for other purposes. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted YES on 22 June 2006. (votesmart.org)
- National Taxpayers Union. 2009. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Thaddeus McCotter supported the interests of the National Taxpayers Union 71 percent in 2009. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. HR 8. 108th Congress. To make the repeal of the estate tax permanent. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted YES on 13 April 2005. (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart's Research
- Thaddeus McCotter. McCotter on Stimulus Package. 28 January 2009. "What we have before us today, unfortunately, is a missed opportunity. It is an opportunity I hope we will get to rectify should legislation come back because at the present time, this legislation is not an immediate economic growth stimulus. It is, in fact, a wasteful government spending bill. We can do better together; I trust we will. Because as the families in my community understand, Congress cannot continue governing like gamblers in the hole, spending other people's money. We will have to make difficult decisions, but we will have to do them together." (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. HR 1. 111th Congress. Making supplemental appropriations for job preservation and creation, infrastructure investment, energy efficiency and science, assistance to the unemployed, and State and local fiscal stabilization, for fiscal year ending September 30, 2009, and for other purposes. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted NO on 13 February 2009. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. HR 1424. 111th Congress. To provide authority for the Federal Government to purchase and insure certain types of troubled assets for the purposes of providing stability to and preventing disruption in the economy and financial system and protecting taxpayers, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide incentives for energy production and conservation, to extend certain expiring provisions, to provide individual income tax relief, and for other purposes. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted NO on 10 March 2008. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. McCotter First Republican to Declare He Will Vote Against Paulson Bailout. 24 September 2008. "The chairman of the Republican Party Policy Committee, Rep. Thaddeus McCotter of Michigan, was the first Republican to declare he would vote against the bill, the Times reported. 'They want a public bailout, that's their approach,' McCotter said. 'We believe in private recapitalization and proper incentivization.'" (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. The Stimulus Plan. 3 June 2009. "In fairness, I must point out that one of the first things that this Democratic-controlled Congress did, in conjunction with the administration, was pass a $1 trillion stimulus bill, because I include the interest, and we're all going to have to pay it. The $1 trillion stimulus bill had one provision that would have particularly helped the auto industry that was virtually eliminated in the dead of night by a hidden hand that also did something interesting. The $1 trillion stimulus bill had protected the AIG bonuses, and yet it did nothing to prevent Chrysler and GM autoworkers from going into bankruptcy. At the time, I referred to it as a post-American manufacturing bill. I would just like to point out that, sadly, events have proven that assessment correct." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart's Research
- Thaddeus McCotter. Issue Position: Fight for Fiscal Integrity. "Reform entitlements by strengthening Medicare by increasing Seniors' choice and control over benefits and free-market oriented options; revitalizing Medicaid by focusing on recipients' preventative and catastrophic health care; and refinancing Social Security by freezing the current payroll tax but allowing young people to receive and freely invest a time discounted portion of their future benefits now." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart's Research
- Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants. 2005-2006. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Thaddeus McCotter supported the interests of the Citizens United for the Rehabilitation of Errants 20 percent in 2005-2006. (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart's Research
- Despite exhaustive research, Project Vote Smart was unable to find information about this candidate's position.
Vote Smart's Research
- Thaddeus McCotter. Press Conference With House Minority Leader John Boehner ; House Minority Whip Eric Cantor; Rep. Mike Pence; Rep. Joe Barton; Rep. Mary Fallin; Rep. Fred Upton; Rep. John Shimkus; Rep. Thaddeus Mccotter; Rep. Darrell Issa - American Energy Act. 10 June 2009. "I'm 43. I remember growing up in Michigan, in school, and I was very scared, very scared. I was told that our way of life was going to change radically due to climate conditions. I was told we were going to face the next ice age. Bought a lot of parkas, learned to skate, trained for the Iditarod. Things come and go, things change. My children are now in school in Michigan. We're facing a radical change to our way of life. We are told it is because we face climate change/global warming. The reality that we face in Michigan is we're seeing a radical change to our way of life due to losses of jobs. The winter of our discontent comes not from the environmental climate, it comes from the economic climate, and today we see a bill from the Democratic Party that tells the working men and women of Michigan that they're going to make it harder to keep the jobs that you have on the potential that maybe someday you can have a green job. This is little comfort to my constituents. This is little comfort to the manufacturing base in America. So when the Democrats put forward an energy bill that was a job killer, we were compelled to put forward an energy bill that is a job creator. It is based on all-of-the-above, because why, at this point in time in America's economic recession, would you come forward with a bill the premise of which is this: the government will control the weather by raising your taxes, taking your job and telling you how to live? This is not what my state needs. This is not what Americans need. We need an all-of-the-above strategy that maximizes American energy, has common-sense conservation and allows for free-market innovations and that way, we can conserve our Earth for future generations, and we can make sure they have prosperity as well." (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. HR 2454. 111th Congress. To create clean energy jobs, achieve energy independence, reduce global warming pollution and transition to a clean energy economy. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted NO on 26 June 2009. (votesmart.org)
- Environment America. 2009. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Thaddeus McCotter supported the interests of Environment America 33 percent in 2009. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus G. McCotter. Our Free Enterprise System and the Role of Big Government. 23 July 2009. "They told me in my generation that we would freeze to death in the next ice age if we didn't reduce pollution. Flash forward. My wife and I, our children are in school. Today our children's generation is being told that unless the government regulates the economy and raises energy taxes, they will face a climate change in which global warming will destroy their way of life.
So we have gone from ice to fire, and yet the solution remains the same, oddly, from the proponents of the cap-and-tax legislation who say, We have to have government control of the weather, raise your energy taxes, dictate your lifestyle and devastate your jobs all so that we can prevent global warming. This from the people who told me there was an ice age coming." (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. McCotter on House Floor Revolt to Lower American Gas Prices. 1 August 2008. "Congress Thaddeus McCotter (R-MI), Chairman of the Republican House Policy Committee, issued the following statement on today's history-making revolt on the House floor by Republicans against Speaker Nancy Pelosi's (D-CA) decision to adjourn the House of Representatives without voting on legislation that lowers gas prices: "Caring more about radical environmentalists than hardworking Americans, Speaker Pelosi is frustrating the will and silencing the voices of the overwhelming number of citizens demanding more American oil and energy production to lower gas prices. "Speaker Pelosi needs to hear loud and clear: hardworking Americans can't wait for gas price relief. They deserve a vote on real energy security now! "This vote will ensure our America attains energy security and remains the greatest nation on earth." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart's Research
- Gun Owners of America. 2010. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. In 2010 Gun Owners of America gave Thaddeus McCotter a grade of A. (votesmart.org)
- Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. 2003. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Thaddeus McCotter supported the interests of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence 0 percent from 1991 and 2003. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. HR 6842. 111th Congress. To restore Second Amendment rights in the District of Columbia. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted YES on 17 September 2008. (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart's Research
- Thaddeus McCotter. HR 3962. 111th Congress. To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans and reduce the growth in health care spending, and for other purposes. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted NO on 7 November 2009. (votesmart.org)
- American Public Health Association. 2009. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Thaddeus McCotter supported the interests of the American Public Health Association 33 percent in 2009. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. Health Care Reform. 16 March 2010. "The Democratic Party believes that you can take an imperfect health care system and fix it by putting it under the most dysfunctional and broken entity in the United States today. It is called the Federal Government. That proposition is insane. The reality is they do not stand with the American people. They stand for Big Government making decisions in your lives. We trust the American people, and we will not turn the intimate decisions between you and your doctor over to some Federal bureaucrat. We will leave it in your hands, and we will empower patient-centered wellness and free market reforms if given the chance and a real vote." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart's Research
- National Latino Congreso. 2007-2010. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Thaddeus McCotter supported the interests of the National Latino Congreso 11 percent in 2007-2010. (votesmart.org)
- Federation for American Immigration Reform. 2007-2008. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Thaddeus McCotter supported the interests of the Federation for American Immigration Reform 75 percent in 2007-2008. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus G. McCotter. 72 Members Tell Senate: Enforcement First, No Amnesty. 16 March 2006. "No Amnesty: Rewarding persons who have broken the law with an advantage that they would not otherwise have had encourages more illegal behavior and is unjust to immigrants who came to the U.S. legally." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart's Research
- Thaddeus McCotter. HR 4899. 111th Congress. Supplemental Appropriations Act. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted NO on Requiring Timetable for Withdrawal from Afghanistan on 1 July 2010. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. Afghanistan: In To Win. 8 October 2009. "My answer stems from a broad strategic vision focused by three fundamental principles: One, America's security is from strength, not surrender; two, our greatest strength rests in expanding liberty to the oppressed to ensure freedom for ourselves; and three, we are targets of tyrants and terrorists not because of our actions but because of our existence. Helping the Afghans free themselves from the Taliban's tyranny and al Qaeda's terrorism is a moral good unto itself. To retreat from or compromise this noble goal in the cause of human freedom will not only be a betrayal of the Afghans, it will endanger our own birth right as a free people. Our allies, our rivals, and especially our enemies will witness our lack of conviction; and, by so dishonoring ourselves, we will squander our allies' trust, lose our rivals' respect, and incur our enemy's emboldened depravities. Our primary nation-state enemy, Iran, imperviously continues its pursuit of nuclear weapons and the means to wield them. A defeat in Afghanistan will condemn generations yet born to the capricious terrorism of an Iranian regime protected by a nuclear umbrella. Alternately, victory in Afghanistan will further Iran's necessary containment by democracies opposed to terrorism. Unable to expand its sway, Iran's ability to coax our rivals into opposing sanctions and, worse, aiding its nuclear pursuits, will ebb and end; and, within its own borders, the regime will falter and, like the Soviet Union, ultimately implode between the weight of its own oppressed people's aspirations for freedom. Regarding Afghanistan particularly, General Stanley McChrystal has affirmed victory remains within reach. What form will it take? My view is the richly diversified people of Afghanistan desire a decentralized democracy that is opposed to terrorism and is engaged with their neighbors and allies. To this end, America, NATO, and the U.N. must renounce the recent fraudulent election and schedule a scrupulously monitored, honest election. This is essential to reassuring the Afghans that their nascent representative government and the coalition's intentions in their homeland are legitimate and benevolent. As this process proceeds at pace, we must make clear the new democracy's governing principle is local control. Every Nation, especially one as tribal as Afghanistan, has traditional roots of order springing from and connecting the individual and family to the local community and larger country. Without an enduring history of or trust in a centralized, bureaucratized rule from Kabul, only an explicit, enduring commitment to local control will soothe Afghans' resistance to their federal government's existence. Moreover, local control also intermeshes with coalition forces' counterinsurgency operation. Emulating General David Petraeus' brilliant counterinsurgency strategy in Iraq, coalition forces must be increased to provide the force necessary to defeat the enemy's violence and intimidation of Afghans. As the security situation is stabilized, coalition forces and steadily increasing Afghan national police and army personnel must live amongst the people to facilitate sustainable local economic developments and democratic institutions. In sum, the coalition will separate Afghans from the enemy by concretely proving the moral and practical superiority of locally rooted democracy over nihilistic terrorism and tyranny." (votesmart.org)
- Peace Action West. 2009. Project Vote Smart: Interest Group Ratings. Thaddeus McCotter supported the interests of Peace Action West 15 percent in 2009. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. HR 4899. 111th Congress. Supplemental Appropriations Act. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted NO on Limiting Afghanistan Military Funding to Withdrawal and Other Specified Purposes on 1 July 2010. (votesmart.org)
- Thaddeus McCotter. McCotter for Big Peace: Obama, Iran, and Appeasement. 15 July 2010. "Second, we must not blanch in continuing to secure and support sovereign democracies on Iran's border, notably Iraq and Afghanistan." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart's Research
- Thaddeus McCotter. H J Res 88. 109th Congress. Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to marriage. Project Vote Smart Summary: Thaddeus McCotter voted YES on 18 July 2006. (votesmart.org)
- Eagle Forum PAC. Thaddeus McCotter is endorsed by the Eagle Forum in the 2010 General Election. (www.eagleforum.org)
- Official Position
Candidate had the Political Courage to address this issue directly.
- Inferred Position
Candidate refused to address this issue directly, but Project Vote Smart inferred this issue position based on the candidate's public statements, voting record, and evaluations from special interest groups.
- Unknown Position
Candidate refused to address this issue.
- Project Vote Smart's Research
Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position.