Wife: Rose; 1 Child: Charlie II
- MEd, Administration, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 1966
- BA, Education, Johnson C. Smith University, 1962
- Minority Caucus Chair, North Carolina State Senate, 2011-2012
- Candidate, North Carolina State Senate, District 38, 2012
- Deputy President Pro Tem, North Carolina State Senate, 2003-2010
- City Council Member, 1977-1989
- No committee memberships found.
- Member, Advisory Council on Cancer Coordination and Control
- Member, Minority Health Advisory Council
- Member, North Carolina Interagency Council for Coordinating Homeless Programs
- Principal, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, 1966-1991
- Assistant Principal, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, 1963-1966
- Teacher, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, 1962-1963
- First Lieutenant, United States Army 82nd Airborne, 1951-1954
- No organizational membership information on file.