2 Children: Maisha, Javad
- MA, Psychology Counseling/Guidance, University of Northern Colorado, 1976
- BA, Special Education, University of Northern Colorado, 1974
- Representative, Colorado State House of Representatives, 2010-present
- Chair, Local Government Committee, Colorado State House of Representatives
- Member, Colorado Commission on Criminal Juvenile Justice, 2007-present
- Member, Educational Success Task Force, Colorado State House of Representatives, present
- Former Member, Health and Environment Committee, Colorado State House of Representatives
- Founder, Fields Wolfe Memorial Fund
- Employed, Student Affairs, University of Northern Colorado
- Regional Training Manager, United Airlines
- Employed, University of Denver
- Member, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority
- Member, American Association of Training and Development
- Member, Black Women for Political Action
- Former Member, Curtis Park Community Center
- Member, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- Member, National Council of Negro Women
- Board Member, Safe2Tell
- Member, Urban League of Denver
- President, Voices of Victims
- Member, Women in Government
Rising Star Award, Colorado Democratic Party, 2011
Martin Luther King Jr. Humanitarian Award, 2010
African Americans Who Make a Difference Award, Urban Spectrum, 2009
President's Courage Award, Colorado Black Chamber of Commerce (CBCC)
President's Award, Colorado Association for Victim Assistants
Service Award, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NACCP), Denver Chapter
Names of Grandchildren:
Nyrema, Nyla, Nia
Number of Grandchildren:
Fixing Colorado's structural budget deficit problems. We must come together as lawmakers to create balanced budgets through a smart and sensible balance of cuts and revenue.
Promoting HD-42 and Aurora as a place to build and grow new and existing businesses. This talented, diverse community is ready to get to work! I will never stop fighting to bring growth and opportunity to the people that I represent.
Introducing bills that strengthen and support Public Safety and Crime Prevention. I will work with those on the front lines of law enforcement to move the best ideas forward.
Expanding avenues and access to our justice system for victims of crime.
I will always stand up for the civil rights of ALL Coloradans.
I will continue to sponsor and support legislation that honors the sacrifice of Colorado's veterans, service men and women, and their families. We will keep our promises and honor our commitments to them -- just as they have done for us.
I will support investment in research, development, and use of clean and emerging energy sources. Colorado is and will continue to be a leader in new technologies that balance our energy needs with preserving our environment.
I will work to reduce health care costs to increase health care access and coverage.
I will work to increase access to early childhood education and for equality in school funding.
I will work with my colleagues to create innovative ways to reduce higher education costs while supporting and improving our world-class higher learning institutions. We must have greater access for everyone who wants to improve their lives through education.
I will stand with workers and fight to protect collective bargaining rights for Colorado's working families.
I will never waver on my support of women's rights to control their health care decisions and to receive equal pay for equal work.
I support marriage equality and the end to all discriminatory practices based on race, religion, disability, gender and sexual orientation.