Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Key Votes

H 246 - Gasoline Tax Increase - Key Vote

Idaho Key Votes

Stages

Family

Issues

Stage Details

Legislation - Bill Failed (House) (27-43) - (Key vote)

Title: Gasoline Tax Increase

Vote Smart's Synopsis:

Vote to pass a bill that increases the gasoline tax by $0.07 over a period of three years and increases the annual permit fee for vehicles powered by special fuels depending on vehicle tonnage over a period of three years, the proceeds of which shall be used for highway improvement projects.

Highlights:
-Increases the gasoline tax from $0.25 per gallon to $0.28 per gallon beginning July 1, 2009, $0.30 per gallon beginning July 1, 2010, and $0.32 per gallon beginning July 1, 2011 (Sec. 3). -Increases the annual permit fee for special fuels depending on vehicle tonnage according to the following schedule (Sec. 4):
    - Existing law:
      -$60 for vehicles weighing between 0 and 8,000 lbs; -$89 for vehicles weighing between 8,001 and 16,000 lbs; -$179 for vehicles weighing between 16,001 and 26,000 lbs; and -$208 for vehicles weighing 26,001 lbs or more.
    -New law, beginning July 1, 2009:
      -$80 for vehicles weighing between 0 and 8,000 lbs; -$110 for vehicles weighing between 8,001 and 16,000 lbs; -$230 for vehicles weighing between 16,001 and 26,000 lbs; and -$270 for vehicles weighing 26,001 lbs or more.
    -New law, beginning July 1, 2010:
      -$90 for vehicles weighing between 0 and 8,000 lbs; -$120 for vehicles weighing between 8,001 and 16,000 lbs; -$250 for vehicles weighing between 16,001 and 26,000 lbs; and -$290 for vehicles weighing 26,001 lbs or more.
    -New law, beginning July 1, 2011:
      -$100 for vehicles weighing between 0 and 8,000 lbs; -$130 for vehicles weighing between 8,001 and 16,000 lbs; -$270 for vehicles weighing between 16,001 and 26,000 lbs; and -$310 for vehicles weighing 26,001 lbs or more.
-Relies on the existing definition of "special fuels" for the purposes of taxation, meaning diesel fuel, natural gas, hydrogen, or compressed or liquefied gas obtained as a byproduct in petroleum refining or national gasoline manufacturing (Sec. 4). -Establishes the Highway Maintenance, Preservation and Restoration Fund, in which funds accrued by the gasoline tax increase will be deposited to be used exclusively for the maintenance, preservation, and restoration of the state highway system (Sec. 2). -Allocates 38 percent of the funds in the Highway Maintenance, Preservation and Restoration Fund to local units of government, and requires the other 62 percent to remain in the fund to be expended by the Idaho Transportation Department (Sec. 2).
Legislation - Introduced (House) -

Title: Gasoline Tax Increase

Committee Sponsors

Sponsors

Skip to top
Back to top