Vote to pass a bill that increases the penalty for performing an illegal abortion from a third-degree felony to a second-degree felony, and amends the circumstances under which abortions may be performed after the fetus has reached viability.
- Amends the circumstances under which a physician may perform an abortion after the child has reached viability for reasons related to the health of the fetus to require that two physicians concur, in writing, that the fetus has a defect that is uniformly diagnosable and uniformly lethal (Sec. 1).
- Defines "viable" as reaching a stage of fetal development when the fetus is potentially able to live outside the womb by natural or artificial life-support systems (Sec. 1).
- Eliminates the requirement that all abortions performed 90 days or more after conception be performed in a hospital (Sec. 1).
- Specifies that if any provision of this Act is found to be unconstitutional, the remaining provisions shall remain effective (Sec. 5).
- This is a substitute bill sponsored by Rep. Paul Ray.
NOTE: THIS IS A SUBSTITUTE BILL, MEANING THE LANGUAGE OF THE ORIGINAL BILL HAS BEEN REPLACED. THE DEGREE TO WHICH THE SUBSTITUTE BILL TEXT DIFFERS FROM THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE TEXT CAN VARY GREATLY.