Bill Sent To Committee
May 8, 2008
April 21, 2008(Key vote)
Title: Prohibiting Coerced Abortion
- Prohibits coercing a woman to have an abortion through abuse, violence or threats. Coercing a woman to have an abortion or retaliating against her for refusing is classified as either a Class A misdemeanor or a felony depending on the circumstances. It is a Class C felony to perform/induce an abortion with the knowledge that the woman has been coerced (Sec. A).
- Requires that a woman give voluntary, informed and free consent 24 hours prior to an abortion (Sec. A).
- Requires the performing physician provide the following information to the woman orally and in writing (Sec. A):
- Physician's name
- Medically-accurate information describing the abortion method, medical risks, alternatives to the abortion, and follow-up care information
- Gestational age and anatomical and physiological characteristics of the fetus/unborn child
- Requires the woman be presented with materials describing the characteristics of an unborn child/fetus at various stages of development, different methods of abortion, and risks associated with abortion (Sec. A).
- Requires the woman be given an opportunity to view an ultrasound and hear the heartbeat of the fetus/unborn child free of charge (Sec. A).
- Requires the woman be informed of the possibility of the abortion causing pain to the fetus/unborn child and the availability of anesthesia to alleviate possible pain to the unborn child/fetus (Sec. A).
- Requires the woman be presented with materials describing alternatives to abortion and presenting resources intended to aid the woman in carrying the unborn child/fetus to term, caring for a dependent child, and adoption (Sec. A).
- Requires the woman be informed that the father of a child is obligated to assist in the support of the child (Sec. A).
- Requires the woman be informed that is unlawful for anyone to coerce her into having an abortion and that her refusal to consent to the abortion does not disqualify her from future care or treatment (Sec. A).
- Requires all information to be presented privately, in a language the woman can understand, and at least 24 hours to the abortion procedure (Sec. A).
- Prohibits an abortion unless the woman certifies on a checklist form that the licensed physician has provided all required information (Sec. A).
- Requires abortion facilities to display signs stating that it is against the law for anyone to coerce a woman to have an abortion (Sec. A).
- Substitute offered by the House Committee on Health Care Policy.
NOTE: THIS IS A SUBSTITUTE BILL, MEANING THE LANGUAGE OF THE ORIGINAL BILL HAS BEEN REPLACED. THE DEGREE TO WHICH THE SUBSTITUTE BILL TEXT DIFFERS FROM THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE TEXT CAN VARY GREATLY.