March 20, 2008(Key vote)
Title: Public-Private Transportation Projects
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that requires the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) to develop partnerships with private entities and units of government to carry out transportation projects.
- Authorizes ADOT to administer franchise or user fees on roads to finance transportation projects (Sec. 3).
- Authorizes ADOT to solicit, accept, and evaluate proposals for transportation projects from private entities and units of government (Sec. 3).
- Authorizes ADOT to exercise the power of eminent domain to acquire property for transportation projects pursuant to this Act (Sec. 3).
- Authorizes ADOT to administer fees for evaluating proposals for transportation projects (Sec. 3).
- Establishes the State Transportation Enterprise Fund, administered by ADOT, to pay for transportation projects. Proceeds from bonds, transportation project development revenue, donations, grants, contracts, and other sources shall be deposited into the fund (Sec. 3).
- Authorizes ADOT and any unit of government that participates in a transportation project to establish advisory committees to advise ADOT or the unit of government on the project, provided that the committee consists of at least five members (Sec. 3).
- Requires ADOT to report to the Board of Directors at least twice a year on the expenditure of funds for the evaluation of proposals for transportation projects, agreements entered into, transportation projects that have been agreed to, and the financing of projects (Sec. 3).