Vote to adopt a conference report that requires a school hiring authority to seek a criminal background check on individuals who are offered the opportunity to provide athletic coaching or other extracurricular services to a school, whether or not compensation is provided for those services.
- Exempts enrolled student volunteers from the criminal background check requirements (Sec. 1).
- Requires a school hiring authority to notify parents and guardians at the beginning of each school year about the policy requiring a criminal background check on employees and other individuals who provide services to the school (Sec. 1).
Concurrence Vote Failed
April 2, 2008
April 1, 2008(Key vote)
Title: Background Checks for Coaches
- Applies to non-student volunteers as well as paid employees (Sec. 1, Subd. 1).
- Requires schools to notify parents and guardians of the school's policy requiring background checks [Sec. 1, Subd. 1 (e)].
- Allows schools to hire or permit individuals to volunteer before the background check is complete. However, those individuals may be fired because of the background check results (Sec. 1, Subd. 2).