- Authorizes the Department of Education to investigate a school district for systemic educational mismanagement if 50 percent or more of the district's schools are classified as either under-performing or failing based on the annual achievement profile for public schools, and at least one school is classified as failing (Sec. 1).
- Specifies that once the SBE determines that a school district has systemic mismanagement, the Department of Education shall appoint a superintendent, who is approved by the SBE, to oversee the school district for a three year term (Sec. 1).
- Requires the superintendent to immediately begin a full investigation of the school district's educational affairs and submit a detailed report to the SBE within 120 days of their appointment that includes an improvement plan with a time-line to raise the level of academic achievement (Sec. 1).
- Authorizes the superintendent to override any decisions made by the school district's governing board, hire and terminate personnel, and cancel any existing employment contracts (Sec. 1).
- Requires the school district to pay the salaries and benefits for the superintendent and the superintendent's staff (Sec. 1).
- Authorizes the SBE to remove the superintendent if, based on their quarterly progress reports submitted to the SBE, the superintendent's progress is insufficient or if the school district is no longer classified as mismanaged (Sec. 1).