S Amdt 4347 - Earmark Moratorium - Key Vote
National Key Votes
- S Con Res 70 -
- S Amdt 4347 - Earmark Moratorium
- S Amdt 4299 - Expressing the Sense of the Senate on the Legalization of Importing Certain Prescription Drugs
- S Amdt 4233 - Codifying the Definition of a Child Eligible for SCHIP
- S Amdt 4231 - Immigration Enforcement and Border Fence Amendment
- S Amdt 4259 - Immigration Enforcement and Employer Sanctions Amendment
- SB 25 - Judicial Retirement Changes
NOTE: THIS IS AN AMENDMENT TO A NON-BINDING CONCURRENT BUDGET RESOLUTION THAT SETS THE FUNDING LEVEL FOR DISCRETIONARY SPENDING. IT IS NOT SIGNED BY THE PRESIDENT AND THEREFORE DOES NOT HOLD THE WEIGHT OF LAW, BUT IS USED AS A GUIDE FOR CONGRESS AS IT PASSES THE ANNUAL APPROPRIATION AND OTHER BILLS.
Amendment - Motion Rejected (Senate) (29-71) - March 13, 2008(Key vote)
Title: Earmark Moratorium
Vote to waive the budget act to provide for consideration of an amendment to establish a one-year moratorium on earmarks.
- Defines "earmark" as language providing a specific amount of spending authority for a specific state, locality, or congressional district, other than through a statutory or administrative formula-driven or competitive award process.
- Defines a "limited tax benefit" as a tax deduction, credit, exclusion, or preference provided for specific beneficiaries.
- Defines a "limited tariff benefit" as a tariff modification applying to ten or fewer entities.
- Provides that the consideration of legislation that contains earmarks, limited tax benefits, or limited tariff benefits is out of order, and prevents the legislation from being considered unless the point of order is waived by a two-thirds vote or the out of order sections are removed.
- Applies this moratorium to the 2009 fiscal year only.
NOTE: A MOTION TO WAIVE THE BUDGET ACT, IF ADOPTED, TEMPORARILY SETS ASIDE A SPECIFIC PROVISION OF THE BUDGET ACT OF 1974 SO THAT AN AMENDMENT THAT VIOLATES THE ACT MAY BE CONSIDERED. A 3/5 MAJORITY IS REQUIRED FOR ADOPTION.
Amendment - Introduced (Senate) - March 13, 2008
Title: Earmark Moratorium
- James W. 'Jim' DeMint (SC - R) (Out Of Office)
- John Barrasso (WY - R)
- Evan Bayh (IN - D) (Out Of Office)
- Richard M. Burr (NC - R)
- Hillary Rodham Clinton (NY - D) (Out Of Office)
- Thomas Allen 'Tom' Coburn (OK - R)
- Robert 'Bob' Corker (TN - R)
- John Cornyn (TX - R)
- Michael B. 'Mike' Enzi (WY - R)
- Lindsey O. Graham (SC - R)
- James M. 'Jim' Inhofe (OK - R)
- Jon Kyl (AZ - R) (Out Of Office)
- Melquiades Rafael 'Mel' Martinez (FL - R) (Out Of Office)
- John Sidney McCain III (AZ - R)
- Claire McCaskill (MO - D)
- Barack Hussein Obama II (IL - D) (Out Of Office)