S Amdt 2087 - Iraq Troop Reduction - Key Vote
National Key Votes
- S Amdt 2087 - Iraq Troop Reduction
- H Amdt 197 - Guantanamo Transfer Plan
- HR 1585 -
- S Amdt 2909 - Time Between Troop Deployments
- S Amdt 2022 - Habeas Corpus for Detainees of the United States
- S Amdt 2898 - Iraq Troop Reduction Amendment
- S Amdt 2934 - Expressing Support for General Petraeus and All Members of the Armed Forces
- S Amdt 2947 - Expressing Support for All Men and Women in the U.S. Armed Forces
- S Amdt 2997 - Expressing the Sense of Congress Regarding Federalism in Iraq
- S Amdt 3017 - Expressing the Sense of Congress Regarding Iran and the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps
- HB 201 - State House Redistricting
NOTE: THIS IS AN AMENDMENT TO A SUBSTITUTE AMENDMENT. A SUBSTITUTE AMENDMENT REPLACES THE ENTIRE TEXT OF A PIECE OF LEGISLATION WITH A NEW TEXT.
Amendment - Cloture Not Invoked (Senate) (52-47) - July 18, 2007 (Key vote)
Title: Iraq Troop Reduction
Vote to invoke cloture on an amendment that would require the United States to reduce and limit its military presence in Iraq.
- Requires the Secretary of Defense to begin reducing US forces in Iraq no later than 120 days after the enactment of this Act.
- Requires a comprehensive diplomatic, political, and economic strategy that includes engagement with Iraq's neighbors and the international community regarding Iraq's stability to be implemented along with the troop reduction.
- Requires the United States to use its influence at the United Nations to seek the appointment of an international mediator in Iraq who would have the authority of the international community to engage in the political, religious, ethnic, and tribal leaders of Iraq in a cooperative political process.
- Restricts the US presence in Iraq to the purposes of protecting the US and Coalition personnel and infrastructure, training and equipping and providing logistical support for the Iraqi Security Forces, and counter terrorism operations.
- Requires the transition to a limited troop presence in Iraq to be completed by April 30, 2008.
NOTE: INVOKING CLOTURE REQUIRES A 3/5 MAJORITY OF THE SENATE. IT IS NOT A VOTE ON THE PASSAGE OF THE PIECE OF LEGISLATION, BUT LIMITS FURTHER DEBATE TO 30 HOURS. CLOTURE IS TYPICALLY USED TO END A FILIBUSTER. A FAILED CLOTURE VOTE OFTEN PREVENTS THE LEGISLATION FROM EVER COMING TO A VOTE.
Amendment - Introduced (Senate) - July 11, 2007
Title: Iraq Troop Reduction
- Joseph Robinette 'Joe' Biden Jr. (DE - D) (Out Of Office)
- Barbara Boxer (CA - D)
- Benjamin L. 'Ben' Cardin (MD - D)
- Hillary Rodham Clinton (NY - D) (Out Of Office)
- Richard J. 'Dick' Durbin (IL - D)
- Charles T. 'Chuck' Hagel (NE - R) (Out Of Office)
- Thomas 'Tom' Harkin (IA - D)
- Edward M. 'Ted' Kennedy Sr. (MA - D) (Out Of Office)
- John Forbes Kerry (MA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Robert 'Bob' Menendez (NJ - D)
- Patty Murray (WA - D)
- Barack Hussein Obama II (IL - D) (Out Of Office)
- John Francis 'Jack' Reed (RI - D)
- Gordon Harold Smith (OR - R) (Out Of Office)
- Olympia Jean Snowe (ME - R) (Out Of Office)