HR 556 - Foreign Investment Oversight - Key Vote
National Key Votes
- July 26, 2007 Executive Signed
- July 11, 2007 House Concurrence Vote Passed
- June 29, 2007 Senate Bill Passed
- Feb. 28, 2007 House Bill Passed
- Jan. 18, 2007 Introduced
Legislation - Signed (Executive) - Became Public Law No. 110-049 - July 26, 2007
Legislation - Concurrence Vote Passed (House) (370-45) - July 11, 2007(Key vote)
Title: Foreign Investment Oversight
Vote to concur with the Senate amendments to a bill that establishes and outlines the responsibilities of the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS).
- Establishes the multi-agency Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), composed of the Secretaries of the Treasury, Homeland Security, Commerce, Defense, State, Energy, Labor, and National Intelligence, as well as the Attorney General and heads of the other executive agencies as the President deems appropriate (sec. 3).
- Requires the President acting through CFIUS to review all covered transactions to determine the potential effects the transaction will have on national security (sec. 2).
- Defines covered transactions as any merger, acquisition, or takeover that is proposed or pending after August 23, 1988, by or with any foreign person which could result in foreign control of any person engaged in interstate commerce in the United States (sec. 2).
- Requires CFIUS to conduct an investigation on the effect of the transaction on national security if the covered transaction is a foreign government-controlled transaction, threatens to impair national security, or results in the control of a critical piece of U.S. infrastructure by a foreign person (sec. 2).
- Requires that investigations be completed within 45 days of being started (sec. 2).
- Requires CFIUS to submit a report of all investigations to Congress (sec. 2).
- Allows CFIUS or the lead agency (on behalf of CFIUS) to "negotiate, enter into or impose, and enforce any agreement or condition with any party to the covered transaction in order to mitigate any threat to the national security of the United States that arises as a result of the covered transaction" (sec. 5).
- Requires the President to determine a course of action regarding a covered transaction within 15 days after the investigation is completed (sec. 6).
NOTE: THIS VOTE WAS TAKEN UNDER A SUSPENSION OF THE RULES TO CUT OFF DEBATE EARLY AND VOTE TO PASS THE BILL, THEREBY REQUIRING A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY FOR PASSAGE.
Legislation - Bill Passed With Amendment (Senate) - June 29, 2007
Legislation - Bill Passed (House) (423-0) - Feb. 28, 2007
Legislation - Introduced (House) - Jan. 18, 2007
Title: Foreign Investment Oversight
- Gary L. Ackerman (NY - D) (Out Of Office)
- Spencer T. Bachus (AL - R)
- Richard Hugh Baker (LA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Joe Linus Barton (TX - R)
- Melissa Bean (IL - D) (Out Of Office)
- Judy Biggert (IL - R) (Out Of Office)
- Roy Blunt (MO - R) (Out Of Office)
- Virginia 'Ginny' Brown-Waite (FL - R) (Out Of Office)
- Vern Buchanan (FL - R)
- Shelley Moore Capito (WV - R)
- William Lacy Clay Jr. (MO - D)
- Emanuel Cleaver II (MO - D)
- Joseph D. 'Joe' Courtney (CT - D)
- Joseph 'Joe' Crowley (NY - D)
- Elijah E. Cummings (MD - D)
- Norman DeValois 'Norm' Dicks (WA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Philip 'Phil' English (PA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Vito J. Fossella Jr. (NY - R) (Out Of Office)
- Barney Frank (MA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Scott Garrett (NJ - R)
- Paul E. Gillmor (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- Al Green (TX - D)
- Luis V. Gutierrez (IL - D)
- Jane Harman (CA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Richard 'Doc' Hastings (WA - R)
- Rubén E. Hinojosa Sr. (TX - D)
- Peter 'Pete' Hoekstra (MI - R) (Out Of Office)
- Darlene Hooley (OR - D) (Out Of Office)
- Steve J. Israel (NY - D)
- Peter T. 'Pete' King (NY - R)
- Ron Klein (FL - D) (Out Of Office)
- James R. 'Jim' Langevin (RI - D)
- Steven C. 'Steve' LaTourette (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- Stephen F. Lynch (MA - D)
- Donald A. 'Don' Manzullo (IL - R) (Out Of Office)
- James David 'Jim' Matheson (UT - D)
- Carolyn McCarthy (NY - D)
- Thaddeus G. 'Thad' McCotter (MI - R) (Out Of Office)
- Cathy McMorris Rodgers (WA - R)
- Gregory W. Meeks (NY - D)
- Ralph Bradley 'Brad' Miller (NC - D) (Out Of Office)
- George Miller (CA - D)
- Dennis Moore (KS - D) (Out Of Office)
- Gwendolynne S. 'Gwen' Moore (WI - D)
- Suellen W. 'Sue' Myrick (NC - R) (Out Of Office)
- William J. 'Bill' Pascrell Jr. (NJ - D)
- Ronald Ernest 'Ron' Paul (TX - R) (Out Of Office)
- Deborah D. Pryce (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- David George 'Dave' Reichert (WA - R)
- Thomas M. Reynolds (NY - R) (Out Of Office)
- Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (FL - R)
- David Scott (GA - D)
- Christopher H. Shays (CT - R) (Out Of Office)
- Lamar S. Smith (TX - R)
- Adam Smith (WA - D)
- Bennie G. Thompson (MS - D)
- Diane E. Watson (CA - D) (Out Of Office)
- Melvin Luther 'Mel' Watt (NC - D) (Out Of Office)