May 17, 2007
April 10, 2007(Key vote)
Title: Workers' Compensation
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that establishes new standards for workers' compensation.
- Adds mental injuries and illness to the list of covered conditions, if they were caused solely by the employer or working conditions [Part.1 (sec.5)].
- Adds back injuries resulting in over 50 percent loss of use, and hip and shoulder injuries to the list of body parts covered by workers' compensation [Part.1 (sec.7)].
- Requires that any workers' compensation award be based upon specific and written detailed findings of facts to substantiate the award [Part.1 (sec.8)].
- Allows a health care provider to release information pertaining to the employee's medical history, causation, work restrictions and impairments to the insurance carrier, employer, attorney, rehabilitation professional, or workers' compensation commission without the employee's consent [Part.1 (sec.21)].
- Removes arthritis from the list of conditions considered to be a permanent obstacle to employment [Part.2 (sec.3)].
- Transfers the responsibility to ensure payment of workers' compensation benefits from the Second Injury Fund to the Workers' Compensation Uninsured Employers' Fund, and terminates the Second Injury Fund, effective July 1, 2013 [Part.2 (sec.4-5)].