HR 4975 - 527 Reform Act of 2006 - Key Vote
National Key Votes
Legislation - Bill Passed (House) (217-213) - May 3, 2006(Key vote)
Title: 527 Reform Act of 2006
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that requires more disclosure of lobbying information and which members request earmarked provisions.
- Requires lobbyists to file quarterly disclosure reports (Sec. 101).
- Requires all general appropriation bills to include a list of earmarks with the name of the member that suggested the earmark (Sec. 501).
- Increases the fine for non-compliance with lobbying disclosure requirements from $50,000 to $100,000 (Sec. 106).
- Calls on Representatives, Delegates and Resident Commissioners of the House of Representatives to disclose all employment negotiations and suggests that the member should not vote on any issue that may present a conflict of interest as a result of employment negotiations (Sec. 202).
- Requires permission from the Committee on Standards of Official Conduct before any Representative, Delegate, Resident Commissioner, officer, or employee of the House of Representatives can accept any travel gift, such as transportation, lodging and meals from a private source (Sec. 301).
- Prohibits lobbyists from being a passenger on a corporate flight at the same time as a Representative, Delegate, Resident Commissioner, officer or employee of the House of Representatives (Sec. 303).
- Authorizes "random audits" of information disclosed by lobbyists by the Office of the Inspector General of the House of Representatives (Sec. 401).
- Encourages all members of the House of Representatives to receive ethics training and requires all employees of the House of Representatives to participate in ethics training every two years and new employees to complete ethics training within 30 days of being hired (Sec. 502).
- Limits individual yearly donations to a 527 organization's non-federal account to $25,000 (Sec. 1003).
- Repeals limits on party expenses for a candidate in general elections (Sec. 1004).
- Terminates all pension payments to any Member of the House of Representatives who is convicted of certain ethics violations, including bribery of public officials and witnesses, acting as an agent of foreign principles or of defrauding the United States (Sec. 601).
- Requires lobbying registration and disclosure information to be available to the public on the Internet within 48 hours of being submitted electronically (Sec. 102).
Legislation - Introduced (House) - March 16, 2006
Title: 527 Reform Act of 2006
- David T. Dreier (CA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Roy Blunt (MO - R) (Out Of Office)
- John A. Boehner (OH - R)
- Eric I. Cantor (VA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Thomas M. 'Tom' Davis III (VA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Vernon J. 'Vern' Ehlers (MI - R) (Out Of Office)
- J. Dennis 'Denny' Hastert (IL - R) (Out Of Office)
- Richard 'Doc' Hastings (WA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Darrell Issa (CA - R)
- Jack Kingston (GA - R) (Out Of Office)
- Michael T. McCaul (TX - R)
- Deborah D. Pryce (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- Adam H. Putnam (FL - R) (Out Of Office)
- Thomas M. Reynolds (NY - R) (Out Of Office)
- Jean Schmidt (OH - R) (Out Of Office)
- Lamar S. Smith (TX - R)