June 27, 2003(Key vote)
Title: Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that would add prescription drug benefits to Medicare.
Participants would pay a $275 yearly minimum deductible, and a $35 average monthly premium.
From $276 - $4,500, participants would be responsible for 50% of drug cost.
There will be no coverage after $4,500, until the participant has spent $3,700 of their own money. After this mark is reached the Federal Government will cover 90% of drug cost, with the participant covering the remaining 10%.
Program would be available to those who stay in Medicare programs as well as those who choose partially funded, private health plan providers.
Note: This bill was incorporated by the Senate in HR 1 as an amendment.