Vote to pass a bill that requires lobbyists to register with the Secretary of the Senate and the Clerk of the House of Representatives.
- Requires lobbyists earning at least $5,000 in six months, or an organization spending at least $20,000 in six months, to register within 45 days of making a lobbying contact with a Federal employee.
- Defines a lobbyist as "any individual employed or retained by a client for financial or other compensation for services that include more than one lobbying contact" and who spends more than 20 percent of his or her time working for the client on lobbying activities during a six month period.
- Requires registered lobbyists to make biannual reports which include the issues and bills lobbied and an estimate of income or expenses relating to lobbying activities.
- Makes non-profit civic organizations operating under Section 501 (c) (4) of the Internal Revenue Code ineligible for Federal funds if they engage in lobbying activities.
- Sets a fine of up to $50,000 for anyone who knowingly fails to comply with this act.